Babysitters: Keeping Kids Safe While You’re Away
Most parents with little ones would agree that managing to get a night out is no small feat! Having a great sitter on your speed dial that the kids are excited about and that you trust is key. If the stars align and she’s available, it’s a sign that you are meant to go enjoy yourselves. Coming home to a clean house would be a bonus, but knowing that your little ones are safe and happy while you’re out is essential. Make sure you give your sitter the tools to tackle whatever may come his or her way.
Tips for Preparing Your Babysitter
- Require sitters to stay up-to-date on CPR certification and First Aid training.
- Have First Aid kits and fire extinguishers in your home and be sure to tell your sitter where they are located.
- Have flashlights and a corded phone handy in case of power outage.
- Have a hide-a-key in case of a lock-out while playing outside.
- If there are any known allergies, inform your sitter. Indicate what the allergens are, what the allergic response will look like, and how to respond. Be sure to have necessary medications or supplies on hand.
- Keep medications out of reach of the kids, but accessible by your sitter.
- Post this written info by a phone in a central location: Home address and phone number, contact information while you are out, and emergency contact numbers (poison control, pediatrician, dentist, neighbors, grandparents, etc.)
- Have accessible any info the sitter may need to communicate to a health care provider in an emergency, such as relevant health history, current medications, insurance information, etc.
- Assume nothing. Walk a new sitter through your house, sharing: the "lay of the land" both inside and outside, your expectations (bathing, whether or not other kids can come over, etc.), and house rules (Tell him/her what the kids already know and fill him/her in on any recent challenges. Is your toddler into climbing at the moment or does your preschooler try to ride bikes sans helmet?)
Of course, you can’t prevent every hiccup, even if you are home. Preparing your home, your kids, and your sitter for best- and worst-case scenarios will give you peace of mind and allow you to most enjoy your time out. And worry-free “me” time on date night is priceless!
What different ways do you prepare your babysitter to deal with urgent issues while you're away?
Premier Baby Concierge is there to save you time and help you prepare for baby in every way, leaving you to do the really fun stuff! One-on-one education sessions in your home, maternity wear consultations, pediatrician searches, meal delivery after baby… You name it; we are your one stop for customized baby planning and concierge service. With our exclusive network, we’ll bring you the best the Main Line and Philadelphia have to offer.
AboutOne.com is an online family management system that provides ONE place to safely store and manage memories and household information, including education, health, possession, contact records and more.
Latest posts by AboutOne.com (see all)
- Happy Family: Ways to Make Your Home Peaceful and Orderly - April 25, 2016
- Home Value: Maintenance Tips to Prepare for Summer - May 31, 2011
- Health Records: Ways to Safeguard Your Family’s Health - May 24, 2011