Crafts for Kids: Reindeer Antlers
Looking for fun kids' activities this holiday season? Marie from Make and Takes just published a kids arts and crafts book called Make and Takes for Kids: 50 Crafts Throughout the Year that is chock full of fun crafts for kids of all ages.
Case in point: My boys are eight and 10. My 11 year-old son keeps reminding me that he is too old for everything since he's a tween. So, I full on expected his eyes to roll when my friends and I got together with all of our kids and broke out the supplies, sharing that we were going to make reindeer antlers. But, all five of our kids ages two to almost 11 had a great time both making and wearing them, proving to me that you are never too old to be a kid—even if you're a tween with attitude!
How To Make Reindeer Antlers
Making the reindeer antlers is simple.
To create this craft, you need the following supplies:
- Plastic headband, new or used
- 6-inch piece of brown ribbon, 5/8 width
- 2 red pipe cleaners
- 2 white pipe cleaners
- Glue one end of the ribbon to one end of the headband. Wrap the ribbon around and around the headband, overlapping each wrap, until the entire headband is covered in ribbon. Add glue to the back of the ribbon at the end to attach it. Let the glue dry completely.
- For the antlers, twist together 1 red pipe cleaner with 1 white pipe cleaner. Do the same thing with the remaining red and white pipe cleaners. Bend each twisted pipe cleaner into a candy-cane shape.
- To attach the antlers to the headband, bend 1–2" of the bottom of one candy cane pipe cleaner around the headband and about 1–2" away from the center. Twist the pipe cleaner together with itself as you secure it around the headband. Repeat this step for the second candy-cane pipe cleaner, but place it 3–4" away from the first pipe cleaner so that both candy canes look like antlers, as shown in the photo.
Interested in more fun art and craft ideas? Check out WileyCraft.com.
What fun art and craft projects have you done or do you have planned with your kids this holiday season? Tutorials you've created or tips you've found? Please share links!
Latest posts by Jyl Johnson Pattee (see all)
- How to Get Your Children to Clean Their Room - June 16, 2016
- Teaching Children to Recognize Emotions With Art - May 23, 2016
- Time Management: How to Say Yes to Your Highest Priorities - April 20, 2016