Valentine’s Day Dessert: Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
The key to wowing your friends and family with Valentine's Day treats is to take an ordinary recipe, like cupcakes, and add some cute holiday-themed liners and toppers, like these with hearts, and voila! You've turned an ordinary sweet treat into an extraordinary holiday dessert.
White Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Ingredients and Supplies for Cupcake Mix
- Cupcake liners (found at most grocery stores and craft stores, like Joann's)
- Cupcake toppers (I got these at Joann's, but you can find them at most grocery or craft stores.)
- Cupcake Pan
- (Optional) Peppermint pieces for toppings or sprinkles
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/2 cup shortening, margarine, or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 4 egg whites
Ingredients for Frosting
- 2 3-ounce packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened margarine or butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
Dessert Recipe Instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
- Add buttermilk, shortening, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl.
- Beat on medium to high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add egg whites and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping bowl.
- Put Valentine's Day-themed cupcake liners in the cupcake pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near the centers come out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Serves 18.
- In a separate bowl, beat together cream cheese, margarine or butter, and vanilla til light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating well.
- Gradually beat in enough remaining powdered sugar to make frosting of spreading consistency.
- When cool, frost the top of each cupcake, put on toppings or sprinkles, and add the Valentine's Day-themed toppers once frosted.
Check out our other Valentine's Day dessert recipe: Brownie Ice Cream Cake in Jars.
What are your favorite Valentine's Day sweet treats?
Latest posts by Jyl Johnson Pattee (see all)
- European Family Travel on a Budget: 13 Tips for an Affordable Vacation - December 7, 2016
- Appetizer Bar Ideas: Fast and Easy Family Dinner - December 5, 2016
- Family Giving Ideas: 31 Ways to Serve Together at Christmas Time - December 1, 2016