Family Meals: Slow Cooking with Pork and Other Fall Recipes
Family Meals—For many of us, certain foods evoke strong feelings about fall, better than anything else. The chill in the air and the changing color of the leaves compels us into the kitchen, to make chili, stew, and all sorts of pumpkin dishes. Maybe it's instinctive, a drive to fill up before the lean months of winter set in. Maybe it's nostalgia.
At a MomItForward Girls Night Out Twitter party (#gno) at the end of September, many Tweeters shared their favorite recipes for fall dishes. Since the event was sponsored by Pork Crock Stars, many recipes featured slow-cooked pork.
10 Fall Recipes the Whole Family Will Enjoy
Below are the top 10 tweeted recipes that were sent out during the #gno Twitter party:
- Asian Tacos: Shared by @sterlingbooks, these are flour tortillas stuffed with slow-cooked shredded pork, chopped scallions, and hoisin sauce.
- Pork Kapusta, a savory dish from porkbeinspired.com and recommended by @gabbybrewer, is a German-style dish with sauerkraut, German beer, bacon, and pork, simmered for 8 hours.
- Paula Deen's Lean Sour Cream Pork Chops with Vidalia Onion Gravy. Lindsay at @CookinLean tweets that her family loves it.
- Baked French Toast, from @housewifebliss. The baking makes it yummy and allows you a little bit of extra time to multi-task while it's cooking.
- Harvest Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup, from @noelskitchen. It's an easy, creamy soup that takes only a half-hour to make.
- Shredded Pork Carnitas, shared by @phemom, who says it's super easy and has great citrus flavors in it.
- Chinese Red-cooked Pork Shoulder. @schwittertwitte says: "You can thank the masterminds at Good Housekeeping for this recipe." It is an Asian-style stew with soy sauce, dry sherry, fresh ginger, and orange peel.
- Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, the Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Cheesecake, and many other pumpkin recipes can be found here. @hlkljgk says it's not fall without those cookies.
- Five-Minute Crockpot Burritos from @porkbeinspired, as shared by @SterlingBooks, who says: "I love pork and chile. Kids love food they can wrap in a tortilla!"
- Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Grapes, again from @SterlingBooks.
What are your favorite slow cooker recipes? What do you love most about slow cooker cooking? What is your favorite fall recipe?