Game Day Cupcakes
No doubt you know that there's some sort of important football game coming up. Like, I think it's the Superbowl or something. And I'm sure you've also heard about the deflated ball issue. So, why not embrace the chit-chat and serve some deflated footballs on your cupcakes?
We'll go with an eggless chocolate cupcake because there needs to be some "dirt" under the frosting that we've colored green for the grass. And to top it, a simple, yet playful football made of semi-sweet and white chocolate.
We're excited to be watching the Superbowl! It's a tradition every year for us regardless of who is playing. Some years I don't know if I'm more eager to watch the game itself or the commercials. And of course, there's always the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet which is just beyond cute.
Cupcake recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Thirteenth Edition and buttercream frosting from Wilton.
Game Day Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for your Game Day Cupcakes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring (more or less depending on desired hue)
- 24 Deflated Footballs for decoration
Directions for making your Game Day Cupcakes
- Pour milk into a one-cup measuring cup. Add the tablespoon of vinegar and mix well. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to sour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by lining it with muffins cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sour milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Mix until batter is smooth.
- Spoon into muffin cups, making them half full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and shortening. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, making sure to scrape the bowl both on the sides and on the bottom.
- Add the milk and mix. Scrape again.
- Add the desired amount of food coloring and mix until color is evenly distributed.
- Frost cupcakes. Add a chocolate football to each.
What are you most excited for Superbowl Sunday, the game, commercials, food or time spent with family and friends?
Latest posts by Lynne Feifer (see all)
- Chicken Quinoa Casserole With Homemade Alfredo Sauce - August 8, 2019
- Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers - August 5, 2019
- Milky Way Cheesecake Pie - July 5, 2019