The Great American Milk Drive
A typical early morning for my family consists of taking showers, making lunches, signing permission forms, walking the dog, feeding the cat, packing backpacks, and consuming almost a gallon of milk. Yes, I said almost a gallon of milk. With both parents working full time breakfast at our house during the week has to be a quick affair. Our early morning meal is usually made up of cereal or granola, fruit, and muffins. And with four kids (two of which are teenage boys), we tend to go through quite a bit of milk each morning. Between baking muffins, drinking milk, and putting milk on cereal, we go through a lot. Without the time to make a hot breakfast, milk steps in and gives my kids the protein that they need to start their day.
The Great American Milk Drive
Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, is launching the Great American Milk Drive, the first nationwide program designed to encourage consumers to donate nutrient-rich milk to hungry families. The drive will launch on April 2 in New York City at one of the country’s largest food banks, City Harvest, along with simultaneous events in 9 other markets around the country. It is the first nationwide program that encourages donations of milk to go to hungry families. Here's the livestream of the event:
Did you know:
- Hunger impacts 1 in 6 Americans, including 12.5 million families who do not have access to adequate nourishment to help them reach their full potential.
- Milk is the #1 food item requested by 85% of food bank participants?
- 37 million Americans that receive items from the Feeding America network receive less than one gallon of milk per person per year due to inadequate milk donations.
- It is a challenge for Feeding America to meet the demand for milk. Canned goods and other non-perishable items are more likely to be donated.
- With 9 essential nutrients including 8 grams of protein (more than an egg!) per 8 oz. glass, milk enhances the nutritional value of your morning meal- no matter if it is in a glass or in a bowl.
How Can We Help?
The Great American Milk Drive is made possible by milk companies and the nation’s dairy farmers. They are making it easy for people, like you and me, to buy milk online. People can go to http://bit.ly/1mKdXio and donate as little as $5.00 at a time to send milk to a food pantry in their zip code. Every single dollar collected will go straight to purchasing and delivering milk to hungry families through the Feeding America network. The goal of the campaign is to deliver two million gallons of milk to food banks across the country.
Click here to help: http://bit.ly/1mKdXio. For more information about how you can help make a difference, visit these websites:
Milk Mustache Online Properties:
- Website – www.milklife.com
- Milk Facebook – http://facebook.com/Milk
- Milk Twitter – https://twitter.com/MilkMustache
- Instagram – http://instagram.com/milkmustache
- Pinterest – http://pinterest.com/mymilkmustache/
Feeding America Online Properties:
- Feeding America Facebook – http://facebook.com/FeedingAmerica
- Feeding America Twitter – http://twitter.com/feedingamerica
- Instagram – http://instagram.com/feedingamerica
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by MilkPEP. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - February 28, 2020
- Savory and Sweet Dishes: 8 Easy Bacon-Filled Recipes - January 9, 2020
- 5 Tips for Frugal Back to School Shopping - August 9, 2019