Inside Out Cannoli Dip
If you’re looking for a delicious, no-cook summer dessert that packs a punch of nutrition, look no further than this Inside Out Cannoli with a Twist of Lime from Diane Boyd of Cape Fear Nutrition.
Made with ricotta cheese, this recipe is packed with protein and calcium. While the ingredient list says to use low-fat ricotta, I chose whole milk cheese, as new evidence indicates that dairy saturated fat may not be a main risk factor for heart disease.
It’s hard for me to know exactly what I liked best about this dip like dessert when I first saw it. I love the wafer cookies- they look like the pizzelles that I bake with my boys during the holidays; and the mousse-like take on cannoli filling reminds me of my favorite Italian dessert.
No matter what you like best about this recipe, it’s a perfect way to enjoy it with your family in summer!
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed Milk
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons fresh Lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 cup California heavy Cream
- 1 cup California reduced fat Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ Sugar, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 Lime (grate before juicing the lime)
- Chopped Pistachios, for topping (about 1/4 cup shelled)
- Plain crisp wafer Cookies and Strawberries, for serving
1. Stir fresh lime juice into sweetened condensed milk and set aside.
2. Combine ricotta, confectioners’ sugar, and lime zest in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
3. Pour heavy cream into another bowl and beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. (Test the stiffness by pulling a beater out of the cream. The whipped cream should hold its shape and cling to the beater.)
4. Fold one third of the whipped cream into ricotta mixture with a rubber spatula until combined and uniform. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream.
5. Spread half of the ricotta mousse into a pie plate or loaf pan. Drizzle with half of the lime sauce. Repeat with remaining ricotta mousse and lime sauce. Chill, uncovered 30 minutes or up to overnight. 6. Spoon ricotta mousse mixture into cups or bowls and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Serve with crisp wafer cookies on the side.
Nutrient Information: Calories: 343, Total Fat: 19 g, Saturated Fat: 11 g, Sodium: 122 mg, Carbohydrates: 34 g, Protein: 10 g, Calcium: 260 mg
Calling all milk, cheese + yogurt lovers!
What’s your favorite way to get in your 3 servings of dairy every day?
Trina Robertson, MS, RDN is a registered dietitian nutritionist with a master’s degree in nutrition. As a HealthyEating.org Mom she shares her positive approach to healthy eating with the goal of inspiring others to prepare and enjoy foods from all the food groups. As a Project Manager with the Dairy Council of California, Trina develops, evaluates and promotes nutrition education materials for students and adults. At home she enjoys cooking and sharing meals with her family. Her most rewarding accomplishment is that her boys are good eaters and are learning to cook. Follow Trina on Twitter @TrinaR_RD and find more Healthy Eating ideas on Facebook and Pinterest.