Slow Cooker Recipe: Beef Bourguignon
Before I was a mom, I was a hostess. I loved having people over, setting the table nicely, and coordinating wine, appetizers, main course, and desserts. I've been known to make menu cards and place settings because part of me really feels like we must live in the moment. Carpe Diem! If I don't use my fine china now, light the candles and cook fancy dinners , when will I? I'm certainly not getting any younger.
My love for fellowship and community has not changed since motherhood. In fact, in many ways it's grown. I want people to be a part of our new lives, and I want to still make name cards and coordinate linens. However, my hosting abilities are, well, different. There doesn't seem to be the same amount of hours in a day, and no matter how hard I wish for it, I have yet to grow an extra arm. In fact, I'm typing this with one hand because the other is holding a 3 month old who today refuses to sleep anywhere else but my arms. So, I've began trying out a few "fancy" meals in our slow cooker. It takes a bit of planning ahead for grocery shopping, and a bit of work upfront, but it cooks all day and makes dinner delicious and stress free. I am still able to entertain and serve a meal that is special, allowing me to be the hostess that I want to be. If you prepare all the ingredients the night before, then plug in the slow cooker when you plug in your coffee! Easy enough, right?
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cupos chopped onion (3 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Pinot Noir or Burdundy wine
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon dired marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups whole fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups 3/4-inch pieces carrot (4 medium)
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled, or frozen small whole onions
- 2 tablespoons buter or margarine, softened
- 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 3 cups hot cooked noodles or 1 recipe Mashed Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- Brown meat, chopped onion, and garlic in hot oil.
- In a 3 1/2-or 4-quart slow cooker layer mushrooms, carrot and pearl onions. Omit flour and butter or margarine. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca.
- Place meat mixture on top of vegetables. Add thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Decrease wine to 1 1/4 cups and beef broth to 1/2 cup; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in bacon. Serve over cooked noodles, enjoy!
What meals do you love to cook in your slow cooker?
Bonnie Lewis blogs at Bonnie the Baker where she creates delicious dishes and discusses the journey of this thing called "parenthood". She is a professional writer and published author, as well as a social media expert. She has an M.A. in Theology from Fuller Theological Seminary where her studies of faith and culture help inform her writing, baking, and child rearing. She loves ice cream, coffee and a good book. She is married to her husband Cy and has a three month old baby boy named Chip.
Photo courtesy of Megan Craft Photography.
Latest posts by momitforward (see all)
- Holiday Dessert: Snowman Chocolate and Vanilla Cupcakes - December 18, 2018
- Festive Drink: Holiday Punch Recipe - November 24, 2017
- Slow Cooker Recipe: Beef Bourguignon - March 11, 2011