Advil® Cold & Sinus: Wednesday #gno Twitter Party
There are some days when we just don’t feel 100%. According to a recent survey of 2,000 Americans conducted by Advil® Cold & Sinus, 71 percent of Americans believe that doctors are not the most accessible when sickness strikes. Instead, many consult family, friends and peers when feeling sick, leading to common myths about the cold and the flu. These myths are often falsely presented as facts:
- Going outside with wet hair can cause the flu (71% respondents have been told)
- Feed a cold; starve a fever (61%)
- Chicken soup can cure colds and the flu (60%)
- The flu shot causes the flu (53%)
- Avoid dairy when sick (34%)
Use as directed.
Instead, the survey suggests there’s a better alternative. Registered pharmacist and Health expert, Jim Morelli, took these myths into consideration and offered a ‘pharmacist’s take’:
- Getting outside with wet hair can make you feel physically cold, but not cause a cold. Viruses and exposure to germs are what cause a person to be sick
- Fevers do not respond to food. That being said, if you’re feeling sick, remember to keep hydrated and maintain proper nutrition
- Chicken soup is not a cure for anything, except hunger. There is some evidence that it can be beneficial as it can make you hydrated and contains needed electrolytes
- People who get flu shots may feel “serum sicknesses”, but it does not cause a person to become sick with the flu
- Unless the sick person is taking a tetracycline antibiotic for intestinal infections, dairy products are fine to consume when sick
Morelli states that while it is understandable to consult family and friends for medical advice when sick, it is still of utmost importance to seek professional help.
Pharmacists at your local pharmacy can provide help and guidance. The research suggests that 3 out of 5 Americans who visit their local pharmacies have confidence in seeking advice from pharmacists and deem them helpful (69%) and trustworthy (52%).
The #1 most widely recommended brand by pharmacists all over the U.S. to treat your cold and flu symptoms is Advil® Cold & Sinus. It combines the powerful relief of a nasal decongestant with the power of the #1 selling pain reliever, Advil®, to treat your worst cold and flu symptoms. Ask for it at the pharmacy counter!
Join Advil® Cold & Sinus, Mom It Forward, and our panel of experts as we debunk cold and flu myths and chat about what to do when we feel under the weather. The party will be held on Wednesday, February 24 from 1-2 p.m. EST (12 CT, 11 MT, and 10 PT). Click here to see details about the giveaway and enter for a chance to win.
- What: Girls’ Night Out (#gno) Twitter party (Click here to learn about #gno!)
- When: Wednesday, February 24, 2016, from 1-2 PM EST (12 CT, 11 MT, 10 PT)
- Where: Party with us using your favorite Twitter platform. Just make sure to follow the party hashtags!
- Hashtags: #gno and #AdvilCold
- Topic: 'Ask the Pharmacist
- Brand Panelist: @pharmacistjim
- Moderators: @jylmomIF @Dadventurous @troypattee @MomItForward
- Community Panelists:TBA
- Party Favors: Please Click here to see more information about the giveaway.