Dreams: 3 Ways to Reinvent Yourself
Dreams—Right now we're dead center in the heart of summer, but fall is right around the corner, and so is a season of renewal. In 4-5 weeks, depending on where you live, the kids go back to school. Then it's time for pumpkins, boots, and celebrations.
What things will you do differently this year? Anything is possible. Want to start your own business as a Chef, write a cookbook, open a catering business, or get your pilots license? Maybe you want to run your first marathon, become an athlete, lose 20 pounds, or embark on a new career as a teacher, lawyer, or entrepreneur. Perhaps it's time to live out your passion for music, and join a band. Think that's an impossible dream? Thinks again because it's not, and Helen Small is living proof.
Helen is a 91 year-old Dallas mother of three sons who just published her first book; Why Not? My 70 Year Plan for a College Degree. In the book, she writes about her optimistic view on life that has led her to think with no limits. Her way of thinking has kept her much younger than her years.
Helen emphasizes education and a passion for lifelong learning, whether it's a degree or a hobby. When her husband died, she became a full-time student. The year prior to having her book published, Helen finished her MBA! Now, in her ninth decade, she's an author, speaker, and she also just got a new job at the Center of Vital Longevity at the University of Texas, Dallas.
Three Ways to Make Your Dream Self Come True
If Helen can do it, you can too. Here are three ways:
- Make a list of 3 things you've always wanted to do and take action towards them.
- Vow to think without limits! Anything is possible and fear has no place in your life in the new season. Write "Anything is possible!" on your bathroom mirror, along with your new goal, as a reminder each day.
- Model someone who does what you want to do. Reach out, ask questions, and find mentors. Read books, study the Internet, and find the best path to achieve your dream
Now is the time to have fun in the sun, but as you ease out of summer, start thinking about the dreams you have for your own life, and how you'll make them come true. In this last half of the year, take one step closer to your dream.
Remember that anything is possible because it really is. Take stock of the things that have held you back from living the life you're destined for.
What people, places, and things do you need to let go of? What steps can you take now to prepare for the new season of renewal? What steps are you taking to reinvent yourself?
Photo courtesy of Flickr.
Tammy Kling is a life coach, advocate for the homeless, and international author of 29 books including The Compass. Tammy is also the founderr of Write it Out, an organization that helps gang members, the homeless, and those living on the street write out their hopes & dreams via writers workshops, free journals and various other resources.
In addition to writing and coaching, Tammy is a mom of two boys, an avid trail and mountain runner, blogger, and adventure travel writer.
Latest posts by tammykling (see all)
- Valentine’s Day: What Is Your Definition of Love? - February 7, 2019
- Thanksgiving: How To Give Thanks During the Holiday Season - November 17, 2018
- New Years Resolutions: How To Avoid Triggers in Your Life - January 2, 2018