Home Value: Maintenance Tips to Prepare for Summer
Summer Maintenance—Warmer weather is here and the school year is coming to an end. Take advantage of this lull before summer vacation plans are in full swing to catch up on those seasonal tasks that are part of a regular preventive home maintenance program. If you invest a little time and money in performing and recording routine maintenance, you'll be rewarded with peace of mind as well as overall time and money savings.
Checklist for Home Maintenance During the Summer
The checklist below provides a guide to help maintain your home’s value:
- Air conditioning equipment – Make sure outdoor air conditioning units are easily accessible for servicing and that the pad that the equipment rests is level so there’s no stress on the lines running back into the house.
- Clothes washer and dryer – Check washer hoses and connections for damage or leaks, and the back of the dryer for lint buildup that blocks air flow. Inspect and clean the outside dryer vent and make sure the flapper is operating normally.
- Deck and patio – Wash deck and patio areas and sealants where necessary to extend the lifespan of these outdoor living areas. If you’re in search of a way to create an outdoor oasis, one that offers energy or tranquility (or both), Alumawood patio covers might be the perfect enhancement to your deck or patio.
- Doors & windows – Look for tears and holes in screens and make sure that window and door weather stripping and seals are in good condition.
- Lighting – Check outdoor lighting and replace bulbs as needed. You may also get help from outdoor lighting services if you want new ones.
- Roof – If you suspect damage, leave the roof climbing to the professionals like Division Kangaroof or visit sites such as planoroofingcompany.com for a thorough inspection and an estimate for repairs. Investing in a professional roofer is more beneficial than the Do It Yourself approach of roofing. The right Appleton roofing company will have access to the right materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Siding – Wash the outside of your home and windows. Avoid high pressure power washers as they tend to push water up behind the siding and can lead to moisture penetration and subsequent damage. If you need to replace your siding, call professionals to help you.
- Water Heater – Sediment can build up at the bottom of the water heater tank. Attaching a hose to the tank drain valve and draining a few gallons of water into the closest drain until the water runs clear helps extend the life of your water heater.
Tackling these house maintenance projects in small pieces during the summer is the best way to make sure you have time to relax with your family and enjoy all the fun this time of year brings.
What are simple ways to help maintain your home's value? What steps do you take to prepare your home for the summer?
Photo courtesy of Flickr.
AboutOne.com is an online family management system that provides ONE place to safely store and manage memories and household information, including education, health, possession, contact records and more. It then makes that information work for you by auto-magically producing family newsletters, hard copy photo memory books, paper greeting cards that mail themselves, college application info summaries, caregiver instructions, home and vehicle maintenance summaries, and capital gains reports.
Latest posts by AboutOne.com (see all)
- Happy Family: Ways to Make Your Home Peaceful and Orderly - April 22, 2019
- Home Value: Maintenance Tips to Prepare for Summer - May 31, 2011
- Health Records: Ways to Safeguard Your Family’s Health - May 24, 2011