Why You Should Run Online Contests, Sweepstakes, and Giveaways
Raise your hand if you've ever entered online contests, sweepstakes, and giveaways. Raise two hands if you've ever won one!
A year ago, I entered a Passports With Purpose giveaway as a way to support their amazing cause to further literacy for women in Mali. 2 weeks later, I received an email, announcing I had won a "Roman Holiday." (Check out my post here, sharing how to take a European family vacation on a budget.) 5 months later, my family and I were in Rome, staying at a luxury apartment near the Spanish Steps, enjoying a Vespa Tour for four, and a 3-hour walking tour of Rome. I was so happy I had entered that giveaway! Not only did it help families in developing nations, but it helped my family make memories that will last a lifetime.
Online contests, sweepstakes, and giveaways are not only fabulous ways for entrants to take advantage of exciting prizes, huge winnings, and for us, the trip of a lifetime. But, they are great ways for bloggers to drive traffic and partner with brands.
10 Benefits to Running Objectives Online Contests, Sweepstakes, and Giveaways
Here are 10 reasons you should consider running online contests, sweepstakes, and giveaways if you already aren't.
- They generate online buzz for a specific campaign message point, hashtag, or link.
- They help you promote events (both online and offline).
- They can increase social media account followings.
- They can drive greater site traffic.
- They can generate eNewsletter, loyalty program, or other memberships or subscriptions.
- They can facilitate app downloads.
- They can lead to the creation of native content, shared either exclusively in the comments section of your blog or across social media.
- They can help you focus in on growing one specific platform (e.g., Instagram).
- They can help promote an important cause.
- They can drive clicks on key assets, like eCoupons.
If you are already running online contests, sweepstakes, and giveaways (or you've just become convinced that you need to start after reading these 10 benefits), check out this post for best practices in organizing, hosting, and creating great results every time.
Do you host online contests, sweepstakes, and giveaways? What are the top benefits you see come out of hosting them? What are your top tips for running successful giveaways?