Recipe: Orange Coconut Cocoa Bread with Hazelnut Frosting
Whenever I hear the word sweetbread, my mouth immediately starts to water. Homemade bread has a texture and smell that is hard to compare with anything else. This recipe is not only sweet, but also Gluten-Free. Freshly baked bread will fill your home with an aroma that will not only have your family excited, but have the neighbors stopping by to say "hello."
Orange Cocoa Bread
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (store-bought will not achieve the right flavor)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 3/4 cup ground cashews
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, combine all liquid ingredients. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; mix well until combined. Add cacao nibs, coconut flakes, orange zest and ground cashews. Mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove bread from oven, set aside to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with warm Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting (below).
Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepan; warm over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, mixing well until warm.
- Serve warm with a spoon to drizzle atop cocoa bread slices.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
What are some of your favorite Gluten-Free recipes?
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP is a Manhattan based Personal Chef, Culinary Nutritionist, Professional Recipe Developer and Food Writer specializing in simple, Gluten-Free, ‘Clean’ recipes for the home cook. She is the Editor-in-Chief of The Healthy Apple.
Amie is a Food Media Expert. Her work spans the hotel, spa, restaurant and FMG sectors—creating menus, developing marketing and PR efforts and building brand awareness for her clients. Not limiting her focus to companies and brands, Amie works hands-on with individuals and groups as a "Personal Chef", "Food Allergy Concierge" and "Healthy Family Pantry Stylist" to guide them through their transition into a healthier lifestyle. She is a "Gluten-Free Industry Innovator" when it comes to helping clients, communities, companies and clients live a healthy and happy life. She understands how difficult it can be to find time in our hectic lives to create a home cooked, nutritious meal, but is here to show you how easy it can be. Amie’s insights and advice appear on The Huffington Post, Martha Stewart Radio, The Doctors TV Show, YahooShine!, Rodale Institute, WebMD and Williams Sonoma.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- 16 Lucky St. Patrick’s Day Treats and Crafts - March 5, 2021
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - February 9, 2021
- Parents: How Fathers Can Build Relationships With Their Kids - February 9, 2021