Serve Those in Foreign Countries
This week's Season of Service challenge is inspired by Macy's Heart of Haiti project, which features Haitian artists selling their artwork through Macy’s stores and website, enabling them to earn sustainable income. Macy's is a big corporation that has made a partnership to help those on foreign soil and remind us that there are simple ways to help each other out. Let's follow their example and seek out opportunities to serve those in foreign countries.
Tips to Serving Others in Foreign Countries
There are so many possibilities. Here are some ideas:
- Read 31 Ways to Change the World by 4,386 Children, produced by Nick Stanhope, with your kids.
- Buy a $16 pineapple bowl at Heart of Haiti.com to help a Haitian artist and his or her family get back on their feet.
- Help fight illegal child labor, torture, summary executions, enforced disappearances, and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment by going to the World Organization Against Torture and taking a few minutes to write a government official to demand change.
- Read a book online for We Give Books and help donate 20,000 new Tinga Tinga Tales books to children in East Africa.
- Buy a calendar from the Central Asia Institute, which builds and supports schools for girls in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Take a spelling test at FreeRice.com. For each answer you get right, they donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program.
- Sign up for the Mothers2Mothers newsletter to increase your awareness of efforts to provide education and support for pregnant women and new mothers living with HIV/AIDS in Africa.
- Make a $5 donation to Vital Voices Global Partnership, which is a non-governmental organization that identifies, trains and empowers emerging women leaders and social entrepreneurs around the globe, enabling them to create a better world for everyone.
- Check out Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton from your local library and read it.
- "Like," in Facebook, the Working Women's Forum, which empowers poor women in southern India by providing microcredits, a trade union, health care and training.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- What other ideas do you have for giving to others in foreign countries?
- How has giving to others made a meaningful difference for you this week?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here's how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week's challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week's challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week's giveaway. Check out this week's prizes from Heart of Haiti by clicking here.
- Join #gno this Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms about the challenge.