Me Time: Sewing a Wallet or Credit Card Holder
It's important to set aside "me time" during the day. There are days where my patience is running thin and things just aren't going smoothly. Those are the days when I need to sit down and focus on something completely different to help my mind reset.
One of my favorite hobbies is sewing. I love to sew and do small crafts during my "me time". I usually do it before my son wakes up from his nap, so I feel like I've achieved something for the day. Here's an idea for a really quick craft. The best part about it, it doesn't take much fabric at all. You can use scraps or mismatched pieces of fabric!
Sewing a Wallet or Credit Card Holder
- Two pieces of fabric measuring 5 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches (these will be the outside and inside)
- Two pieces of fabric measuring 4 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches (these will be the pockets)
- One piece of interfacing measuring 5 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches (this will be on the inside helping keep the card holder keep form)
- One button
- One elastic hair band (I cut these in half to make them go further on other projects and use a lighter to keep the ends from fraying)
- Take the two pieces measuring 4 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches and sew a double hem measuring 1/4 inch
- Layer all fabrics in this order: interfacing, outside fabric that measures 5 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches, pockets with raw edge matching other raw edge print facing you, place last piece of fabric print facing away from you, then place the elastic band between last piece of fabric and one pocket on the side measuring 4 1/2 inches.
- Sew leaving a 1/4 seam allowance and a big enough opening to flip right side out.
- Once project is flipped right side out, iron down flat and then top stitch close to the edge all the way around.
- Hand sew button on, being careful to not sew pocket down.
There's your finished product! You can check out some of the one's I've made over on my Etsy shop at: www.etsy.com/shop/letmamamakeit. You can make one for your husband's work cards, mommy cards, your own business cards, or you can even use this for cash and credit cards if you're like me and don't like lugging around your entire purse! Good luck, and ALWAYS remember to give yourself some "me time."
What are your favorite sewing projects?
My name is Amanda and I'm a stay at home and first time mom, to an amazing little boy named Tanner. I live in Orange County, CA and absolutely love the weather and everything there is to do down here! My favorite hobby is to sew, but I also enjoy working out, cooking, and riding my beach cruiser! Most weekends you can find me out cruising with my family by the beach cities taking pictures of all the amazing scenery and architecture! You can find me blogging over at www.onadailybasisblog.blogspot.com or on my Etsy shop at: www.etsy.com/shop/letmamamakeit.