September Book Club Chat: On My Honor
When I was a young girl, my mother wanted me to be involved in the brownie and girl scout program in our community. I loved learning new things, setting goals, and spending time with friends, so Girl Scouts was a perfect fit for me. While I was in the scouting program, I learned how to sew, make crafts, give service, and camp. The Girl Scout Motto is "Do a good turn daily." I learned at a young age that it was important to think of other people. Respect and service were drilled into us each time we attended a meeting. I have fond memories of our activities and service projects. I still have my sash with my awards that I earned 35 years ago. Each award brings a flood of fond memories to me.
For our September book club, we will be reading the book On My Honor by Shannon Henry Kleiber. Shannon spent many years researching and writing about Juliette Gordon Low, aka Daisy, the founder of the Girl Scouts of the USA. Shannon relates the story of Daisy's life with different aspects of the Girl Scout program, and then relates those aspects to important life lessons the girls of today are able to learn in Girl Scouts. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Girl Scout Program. I can't think of a better way to celebrate this wonderful organization than to have a book chat about how important it is to teach children values and life skills.
Book Club Details
- What: Join us for an online live chat about teaching children values. We’ll be discussing the book On My Honor. We are also excited to have the author, Shannon Henry Kleiber, join our book chat.
- When: Wednesday, September 26 from 2-3 p.m. EST (1 p.m. CT, 12 p.m. MT, & 11 a.m. PT).
- Where: Party with us in our very own Mom It Forward Chat Room. (Click here to go to the MomItForward Chat Room.)
- RSVP: Email [email protected] to receive a free copy of the book. We only have a few to give away and they are on a first come first serve basis.
Top photo courtesy of Flickr
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- Wooden Pallet Craft: How to Make a Garden Grow Box - April 11, 2023
- St. Patrick’s Day Party - March 14, 2023
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - March 3, 2023