Breathing: A Gift of Service
Whew. The holidays are over. A new year has begun, and with it come new opportunities for growth, change, and happiness. Take time to center yourself, to clear your body and mind, before you dive into new resolutions. Think about breathing. Think about how just breathing is a blessing in and of itself. Think about helping others "breathe."
10 Tips for Serving, and Breathing, Easier
- Blow up a few balloons and play impromptu "hot potato" or "keep-blowing-the-balloons-so-they-don't-touch-the-ground" kinds of games with your kids.
- If you live near the mountains, take your kids up into the cleaner air for an afternoon drive or a bit of sledding.
- Plant or prune a tree in your yard or neighborhood. Trees clean the air, making it easier to breathe. Go to ArborDay.org for tips on what and how to plant.
- Exercise for just 5 minutes with your husband and/or kids before everyone leaves for work or school.
- Be able to give the gift of breathing by learning CPR at home in under a half-hour by purchasing an Anytime CPR Kit from the American Heart Association.
- Find out the birthday of a neighbor you don't talk to often, then take them a cupcake or cookie with a candle in it for them to blow out.
- Invite a friend to do yoga or take a brisk half-hour walk around the neighborhood with you.
- Go to LungUSA.org to add your name to a pre-written message urging the FDA to adopt the strongest possible warning labels on all cigarette advertisements and packs sold in the United States.
- Next time you have an errand to run within a mile of your house, consider walking or riding your bike there. It's better for your health and lowers, even if by only a little, the amount of gunk in the air.
- Know your state's requirements for vehicle smog checks by going to DMV.org. Make sure your vehicle is running as clean as possible.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- What ideas do you have for helping others to breathe?
- How has giving to others made a meaningful difference for you this week?
- How have others helped you breathe this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here's how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week's challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week's challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week's giveaway. Check out this week's prizes from Tara Stiles by clicking here.
- Join #gno this Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms about the challenge.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- Spring Gardening Trends - May 9, 2022
- 42 Easter Treats and Crafts - March 1, 2022
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - February 17, 2022