Chicken Quinoa Casserole With Homemade Alfredo Sauce
This Chicken Quinoa Casserole makes a great one-dish meal. It's healthy, delicious and has a light alfredo-type sauce that adds wonderful flavor to the dish. A great meal for those busy weeknights, it can be prepared ahead, covered and refrigerated, and then popped into the oven when everyone's ready for dinner!
In some parts of the country, school has started and it's already begun for our 17 year old son who is now living 2,000 miles away with his best friend's family. His father and I are living in northern New Hampshire until we leave our jobs in October. All the busy back and forth in our schedule will make easy, prepare-ahead meals like this a necessity!
A new chapter of our lives has begun - the nest is becoming roomier with only one little bird remaining. It's a weird feeling and I'm not so sure I'm ready for it. It certainly will be an adjustment for my husband and I. I mean after all, it's been 22 years since it's been "just us". I'm looking forward to it, but what do we talk about??? The kids have always been our focus. I have a good feeling that it will be wonderful to concentrate on each other and our relationship, putting that on the front burner and doing things together we've always talked about but never have. It will be like dating all over again. I think I'll like that!
When we do finally reunite with our son the end of October, I know our weeknights and weekends will be plenty busy, so I'll need dinners that are easy, healthy, and most of all will keep family members asking for more! And this will be one of them on the menu!
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven's Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe.
Chicken Quinoa Casserole Dinner Recipe
Ingredients for Chicken Quinoa Casserole Dinner
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, divided
- salt and freshly grated pepper to taste
Making your Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8 X 8-inch baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat, sautee the garlic and shallots, until tender.
- Sprinkle the flour and thyme over the pan and stir, mixing them into the garlic and shallots.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and stir until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain.
- Stirring with a whisk, add the milk. Bring to a simmer while continually stirring until mixture thickens. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken quinoa and broccoli.
- Add sauce and stir until well mixed.
- Pour contents into prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
And don't forget - you can pop this in the fridge overnight or store in ready-to-eat containers for easy meals the next day. These make-ahead meals can be a life saver.
What are your go-to meals for your busy weeknights?
Latest posts by Lynne Feifer (see all)
- Chicken Quinoa Casserole With Homemade Alfredo Sauce - August 8, 2019
- Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers - August 5, 2019
- Milky Way Cheesecake Pie - July 5, 2019