Earth Day: How to Strengthen Your Relationship With the Earth
It's almost Earth Day! Relationships are an important part of our lives. Having a relationship with the earth is also very important. If we want the earth to be around for a long time, we need to nourish and take care of it each and every day. How do we do this?
How to Take Care of the Earth
Here are a 5 ways that we can show the earth that we care about it:
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: We can show the earth we care about it by not filling it's landfills with unwanted items. One way I am trying to reduce is by using recycled grocery bags. I am trying to cut back on the amount of plastic our family uses and this is one way I felt like we could. We can also reduce the amount of items we throw away by finding a way to recycle them into other useful items. I like to do this with old toys or clothing.
- Respect nature: We have 3 boys in the Boy Scouting program. Scouts learn that when they are in nature, they are to be mindful of the liter they use and dispose of it correctly. This is called, "No trace left behind." When we go camping, we always make sure that we leave our site extra clean. We don't tolerate littering and think we all should play a part in helping pick up trash whenever we see it lying around.
- Adopt a park or trail: One way we can take care of the earth is to adopt a park or trail. We can provide community service by taking care of our parks and trails. This will help keep our earth looking beautiful. The parks and recreation department desperately needs volunteers to look after and care for trails. Trails are disappearing and it is up to us to make sure they are around for years to come.
- Reduce pollution: At our kids' school, we have a "no idle" rule. When we are waiting in carpool, we make sure that we don't let our cars run. This will not only reduce the amount of pollutants we put in the air, but it will also protect our earth from global warming and acid rain.
- Reduce the amount of water we use: Water is a precious part of life. We need to do our part to conserve water. There are many ways to do this. Take a shower instead of a bath, don't let the water run while you are brushing your teeth, and don't water your lawn in the heat of the day.
What are some ways you and your family can strengthen your relationship with the earth?
Featured image from Flickr
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- St. Patrick’s Day Party - March 14, 2023
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - March 3, 2023
- Savory and Sweet Dishes: 8 Easy Bacon-Filled Recipes - January 16, 2023