Elf the Musical on Broadway! Tips on Taking Your Kids
Seeing Elf the Musical on Broadway was the first time I took my 4-year-old daughter to a musical. She is very theatrical naturally so I knew she would have no problem falling in love with the music and dancing. But I won't lie. I was more than a little worried about her being able to sit still for 2 1/2 hours.
4 Tips on Taking Your Kids to a Broadway Play
Fortunately, my fears of her not making it through the entire play were put to rest. While she loved every second of it, I did take a few measures to prepare in case she got restless. Here are a few tips on preparing for a musical with your children:
- Bring some fun snacks with you if the theatre allows it. I packed a fun Christmas bag with her favorite treats and own bottled water.
- Let your children help you find the seats. I made it into a fun game and had her count the rows and letters until we found our "special" seats.
- Prepare them on the time frame. Let them know about the intermission and have them stretch and get some energy out during that time.
- Get dressed up! Make it into a fancy night and wear something that your kids normally don't see you in. That way they feel like it's a special night.
Elf the Musical was the perfect first play to try out with my 4 year old. She loved every minute and was entranced by the songs, dancing, Santa (who is played by Wayne Knight), and especially Buddy the Elf. It's the same story line as the 2003 movie Elf with Will Ferrell. I was a little worried that it wouldn't be nearly as funny as the movie, but Jordan Gelber, who plays Buddy the Elf, did an amazing job.
Mom It Forward was invited to an amazing event put on by the moms. Elf the Musical is on tour now (check cities and show times to see if it's playing in a city near you). It's also showing in New York City until early January 2013.
Have you ever taken your kids to a musical? Which one?
MT Soffe has been living in New York City for the past five years where she has become a wife, mother of two, and an owner/operator of an up and coming eyelash extension business. Before her life in NYC, she was working as a professional makeup artist working in the fashion, television, and film industry. Being a mother of two in the city has its challenges but she has grown to absolutely love city life and what it has to offer. Her and her family have been having a blast exploring the city and finding fun things to do with kids. Follow her on Instagram, @mtsoffe, @eyelashnyc, Pinterest, andFacebook.
Latest posts by mtsoffe (see all)
- Holiday Celebration: 6 Tips for Throwing a Halloween Party - October 24, 2018
- Holiday Craft: Easter Basket Ideas from Target - March 27, 2013
- Hairstyles: How to Avoid Hat Hair - January 30, 2013