Raising Confident Teens/Tweens: Tuesday #gno Twitter Party
Did you know that October is National Medicine Awareness Month? Research shows that teens who are validated by their parents are more confident and more resistant to peer pressure which includes over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicine abuse. Embracing this research, Stop Medicine Abuse launched a campaign called #ToMyTeen to spark a conversation among parents about what is positive about raising teens today.
Did you know …
- Approximately 1 in 25 teens reports abusing excessive amounts of DXM to get high. One in 3 knows someone who has abused cough medicine to get high. What is DXM? Dextromethorphan (DXM) is a safe and effective ingredient found in many over-the-counter (OTC) cough medicines.
- When abused, DXM can cause side effects including vomiting, stomach pain, mild distortions of color and sound, hallucinations, and loss of motor control.
- The reality is that having a conversation with your child is critically important. Data shows that what parents say does matter. In fact, teens who learn about the risk of drugs from their parents are 50% less likely to use drugs.
You can participate in this movement by joining the Twitter party on Tuesday, October 7. Also, be sure to do the following:
- Visit to ToMyTeen.org and answer one of our questions about raising teens and tweens today
- Write down your answer on a large piece of paper
- Take a photo holding up your answer
- Upload it to the site
- Share your images on Twitter or Facebook and include the hashtag #ToMyTeen. Invite and encourage your friends and family to join the campaign. Everyone who posts a picture to the wall will be entered to win a prize.
Join @StopMedAbuse, Mom It Forward, and our panel of experts as we chat about raising confident teens. The party will be held on Tuesday, October 7 from 9-10 p.m. ET (8CT, 7MT, 6PT). Click here to see details about the giveaway and enter for a chance to win.
- What: Girls’ Night Out (#gno) Twitter party (Click here to learn about #gno!)
- When: Tuesday, October 7 from 9—10 p.m. EST (8CT, 7 MT, & 6 PT)
- Where: Party with us using your favorite Twitter platform. Just make sure to follow the party hashtags!
- Hashtags: #gno & #ToMyTeen
- Topic: Raising Confident Teens/Tweens
- Who:Brand Panelist: @StopMedAbuse Community Panelists: TBD Moderator(s): @jylmomIF@Dadventurous@troypattee and @MomItForward
- Party Favors: Please click here to see more information about the giveaway.
Note: Mom It Forward accepts paid sponsorships for most #gno Twitter parties. During the parties, brand sponsors provide tips, techniques, expert advice, and information on party topics. Mom It Forward is grateful for the giveaway prizes, coupons, and discounts that sponsors also provide to the Mom It Forward community in conjunction with