10 Easy Ways Dancing Can Make a Difference
Last year about this time, I suggested a few ways to help others through dancing, like creating a dance about an issue you feel strongly about, recording it, and posting it on YouTube, or going to a dance performance and blogging about it. Dancing can be a powerful means of expression, invoking emotion, and raising hope. Let me, if I may, add a few more ideas on how you can make a difference through dancing.
10 Bite-Size Ways to Help Others Through Dancing
- Teach your kids a simple dance routine, or have them help choreograph it, then put on a little performance, charging for admission a small contribution to the Global Village Project.
- Make a little obstacle course that your kids have to dance through to complete.
- Play "Just Dance" in Just Sweat mode for at least one half-hour.
- Call the president of your school's PTA/PTO to see if they're sponsoring a dance or dance competition, as a way to encourage physical fitness and fun community behavior, and ask if you can help out either at the event or in its preparation.
- Like CoachArt on Facebook. CoachArt is a nonprofit that provides free lessons to kids with chronic illnesses in activities like music, photography, yoga, martial arts, acting, dancing, and cooking.
- Make a resolution to dance more, and post it on P&G's Everyday Resolutions site.
- Tweet about the Shimmy Club, a nonprofit in Miami, Florida that provides instruction in dance from various cultures to people with disabilities, or put their badge on your blog.
- Watch this video of a traditional Maori dance.
- Watch the flames of a virtual candle "dance" at CovenantHouse.org. Each candle brings attention to the plight of homeless kids and encourages people to make a donation to Covenant House so that they can provide life-saving services for a kid on the street in the U.S.
- Fill a shoebox with dancewear for a young girl and send it to Operation Christmas Child, which puts together Christmas gifts for needy children all over the world.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- Have you ever done any of these things? How did it go?
- What other acts of service have inspired you?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week’s challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week’s challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.