Service Ideas: 10 Ways to Be Active and Give to Others
Service—This week's Season of Service challenge is to "be active," meaning that we challenge you to either do something that involves walking or running or otherwise exerting yourself physically on behalf of someone or something else, or do something to help your family be more active, as an investment in your collective future. There are so many ways to do this. Here are a few ideas:
10 Bite-Size Ideas for Serving Actively
- Walk instead of drive next time you have an errand within a half-mile of your house, easing the burden on our environment a little and helping your body a lot.
- Dedicate your participation in an athletic endurance event to the American Cancer Society through their DetermiNation program. Visit this link for details or to find a sponsored event near you.
- Take this quiz of the American Heart Association so that they can give you a personalized walking plan.
- Subscribe to the RSS feed of the National Wildlife Federation's Be Out There program, to get ideas for outdoor activities.
- Think about what it'd be like to have breast cancer, then request an information brochure about an upcoming Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.
- Take a busy neighbor's dog for a walk.
- Contact your local Girl Scout council about doing a one-time tutorial event for a troop on skiing, geocaching, in-line skating, or another outdoor activity.
- See how many doors you can open for someone else in one day.
- Crumple up some pieces of paper, break out some hula hoops, and get together an indoor snowball fight with your kids.
- Have a Just Dance, Wii Fit, or Dance Central with your kids or hubby.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- What other ideas do you have for serving others by being active?
- How has being active made a meaningful difference for you or others this week?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here's how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week's challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week's challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week's giveaway. Check out this week's prizes from Curious George and PBS Kids by clicking here.
- Join #gno this Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms about the challenge.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- 16 Lucky St. Patrick’s Day Treats and Crafts - March 5, 2021
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - February 9, 2021
- Parents: How Fathers Can Build Relationships With Their Kids - February 9, 2021