Summer Vegetable Soup Recipe
If your garden is overflowing with veggies right now, make up a batch of this Summer Vegetable Soup. It's easy, tasty, and is ready in under 30 minutes!
Whether you grow your own vegetables, like to buy in season, or just like a great deal at the grocery store then this summer vegetable soup is the perfect addition to your menu right now. All the ingredients are fresh and in season across the country, which means they are full of flavor and are a screamin' deal at grocery store.
Summer Vegetable Soup
My garden supplied about half of the ingredients and the rest I picked up at our local farmer's market. The best part for me is that it's naturally gluten-free and perfect for vegetarians and vegans too. Since it cooks up in under 30 minutes, you'll be in and out of the kitchen fast with very little clean up!
Ingredients for Summer Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbls vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes (or 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained)
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off
- 1 jalapeno or 2 small peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 48-64 oz stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/3 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbls fresh basil, finely sliced (opt)
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves (opt)
- roasted pepitas for garnish (opt)
Cooking Your Summer Vegetable Soup
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add in carrots and continue cooking until carrots are just barely tender.
- Toss in garlic and peppers. Stir until garlic and peppers are fragrant.
- Add stock, tomatoes, zucchini, corn kernels, salt, pepper, and dried herbs.Bring to a boil, add rice, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Adjust seasoning and add fresh herbs as desired. Let cool for a couple minutes and enjoy. Garden fresh summer tastes for the dinner table - Yum!
What's your garden producing right now? What vegetables do you love to include in a healthy veggie soup?