Vanilla Malt Dark Hot Chocolate
I have a vision of snuggling under a comfy blanket on the couch by a roaring fire. The snow is gently falling outside and the family sits around enjoying each other's company playing games, talking and enjoying mugs of this Vanilla Malt Dark Hot Chocolate. So, when Old Man Winter arrives for you, why not warm your heart and the rest of your family up with this extra special version of a favorite drink?
I loved hot chocolate as a kid....up until one critical moment in my life anyway. Consequently I rarely made it for my kids when they were little, and I'll tell you why. For a good portion of their lives we lived in Rhode Island and each winter they played in the snow. I'd bundle them up (only for them to say they had to pee right before I opened the door - been there?), and sometimes go out with them to build snowmen, make snow angels, have snowball fights or at other times keep an eye on them from inside. Once they became too cold and had had enough, they'd come in and I'd give them some warm apple cider or the occasional, very special treat of hot chocolate.
See, around the age of 10, I went sledding with some friends. We had a great time, drank hot chocolate and when the day was done, piled into the back of their station wagon to head home. No sooner did we leave the parking lot when my friend... Well, you can only guess. So, for that very reason and to this very day the smell of hot chocolate does not make me all warm and fuzzy inside as it does many people.
However, I do believe that I've found the cure with this very drink I've brought you today! Yes, you heard it here, folks, Lynne has finally found a hot chocolate that will warm the cockles of MY heart!! I'm not going to lie, I genuinely enjoyed drinking it and thought it not only tasted great, but smelled good as well.
Boy, are my kids going to be excited...and shocked! haha
I adapted this recipe from Epicurious.
This recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc. If you should use 1 quart of milk increase the salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
Vanilla Malt Dark Hot Chocolate
Ingredients for Your Vanilla Malt Dark Hot Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons special dark unsweetened cocoa powder ( I used Hershey's)
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup half and half
- marshmallow creme/fluff for serving, if desired
Directions for Making Your Vanilla Malt Dark Hot Chocolate
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, milk powder, sugar and salt.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and pour dry ingredients in. Add two tablespoons of the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Add the remainder of the milk and thoroughly combine. Stir occasionally and cook until hot.
- Gently pour into mug.
- Top with a dollop of marshmallow creme/fluff, if desired.
How do you like to warm your family up on a cold winter's day?
Latest posts by Lynne Feifer (see all)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes for Holiday Parties - December 7, 2021
- Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe for Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey - November 2, 2021
- Game Day Cupcakes - January 18, 2021