Holiday Craft: How to Make Chalkboard Christmas Ornaments
Christmas Craft—Making Christmas ornaments is a fun family tradition to create personal keepsakes and lasting memories. If you need some new ideas for Christmas ornaments in your house, look no further. These chalkboard ornaments are simple and sure to be fun for the whole family.
How to Make Chalkboard Christmas Ornaments
- Ornaments (I used old ones that do not match our new decor)
- Chalkboard Paint
- Paintbrushes, small for the little nooks and crannies, and medium for the bulb
- Ornament Hangers
- Somewhere to hang while drying
- Rough up the ornaments by gently rubbing with sandpaper.
- Apply a single layer of chalkboard pant and let dry completely.
- Apply a second and third coat, if needed, and allow to dry.
- Let the ornament set for 24 hours before using chalk.
- Having a place to hang them to dry is necessary for keeping the surface smooth. I used a piece of ribbon taped in a doorway. It worked perfectly.
- A sponge paintbrush would probably work better that a regular paintbrush for keeping the ornament line free. If you don't mind a few lines, then just use whatever you have on hand like I did.
- Sharpen your chalk before writing on the ornament for more clear writing.
- I needed three coats of paint to cover the deep red of our ornaments. It is better to use shiny ornaments than cloudy ones, because the cloudiness is actually a paint or film and can prevent a nice seal of the paint.
Do you make your own ornaments for your tree? What are your favorite kinds to make?
Amanda Freeman, Mrs. Realistically Domestic herself, is an accomplished event planner, small business owner, blogger, officiant and networking junkie. She has been married since 2008, to a pretty awesome guy that she's known since middle school. Together, they have one adorable little one year old boy, a really smelly Pomeranian named Cooper, and two very rude cats named Tyson and Sonny (after boxers, if you were wondering). Together, they are all just trying to survive in their tiny new-to-them house and make sense of the chaos of being realistically domestic.
Latest posts by Amanda Freeman (see all)
- Holiday Craft: How to Make New Year Wish Box - December 26, 2012
- Holiday Craft: How to Make Chalkboard Christmas Ornaments - December 10, 2012