Holiday Dinner: Prime Rib Roast Recipe
Today we are featuring part 3 of our on Christmas dinner menu 5-part series. While Christmas dinner wouldn't be the same without delicious appetizers like these with bacon and amazing side dishes like these non-traditional mashed potatoes with goat cheese and fresh sage, what brings the meal all together is the main dish.
Every year, my mom makes a traditional prime rib roast. While she may try out new recipes for the other dishes, this one remains the same—traditional and delicious!
Prime Rib Roast Recipe
- 6-8 lb roast with bone
- Salt and pepper
- 1 container beef stock
- 15 mini carrots
- 1 onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare the meat by sprinkling with salt and pepper. Place the meat on a roasting rack.
- Pour the beef stock into the pan and toss in the carrots and sliced onion.
- Cook the meat for 2-3 hours, or until the thermometer reads 140 (rare) or 160 (medium). Baste the meat with the juices in the pan every 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the oven and allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- Remove the carrots and onions from the juices.
- Prepare the gravy using the juices in the pan.
- Place the carved meat on a platter with the carrots and onion slices.
What do you usually eat to celebrate the holidays? What is a holiday dinner must-have in your family?
Latest posts by Jen Tilley (see all)
- Building Skills: 5 Photography Activities for Kids - July 6, 2015
- Fourth of July: Tips for Celebrating the Holiday and Cooking for a Crowd - June 22, 2015
- PEPCID Giveaway: Win a $250 Gift Card - June 17, 2015