Hummus Chicken Pasta Salad — Three Ways To Make It
Summer is here with a vengeance and it has been H-O-T. When the weather hits like this I definitely want something for dinner that is quick, easy, and doesn't heat up the house!
This is a simple recipe that just uses your favorite pre-made or homemade hummus and some cooked chicken. From there you can customize it however you like with spices, like curry powder and different flavors of hummus.
Since this recipe doesn't use mayonnaise, it is also picnic friendly! My favorite way to eat this is as a cold pasta salad as shown above, but you could eat it warm too if you like it that way.
As a gluten-free option you can easily substitute the pasta with another variety of gluten-free pasta, or leave the pasta out altogether and serve it as a salad with some nice greens and a little of your favorite vinaigrette.
If you leave the pasta out this makes a great sandwich too! The chicken salad is also easily customized when you change up the type of hummus you use as well as the spices.
This is wonderfully versatile, flavorful, and easy. I've shown just three ways to use this recipe, but really there are probably even more things you could do with it. If you think of other additions or ways to use this I'd love to know!
Hummus Chicken Pasta Salad
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into small cubes and poached (directions below) or shredded roasted chicken
- 5 oz sundried tomato hummus or roasted red pepper hummus
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 lb dry pasta (farfalle/bow tie or other shape), cooked according to package and cooled
- 1/2 cup corn or corn salsa (optional)
- If using the boneless, skinless chicken, place it in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover the chicken. Over medium heat bring it to a simmer and turn it to low for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain the chicken. If using shredded roast chicken, just continue to the next step.
- In a medium bowl stir together the hummus, lemon juice, water, salt, and curry powder.
- Stir in the cooked and cooled chicken and cooked pasta.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate if you prefer it cold.
Alternate #1— Hummus Chicken Salad Sandwich - Leave out the pasta (and the corn if you prefer) from the recipe above and serve on a nice dark squaw bread or your other favorite bread.
Alternate #2—Hummus Chicken Salad with Mixed Greens - Leave out the pasta (and the corn if you prefer) from the recipe above and serve on a bed of your favorite salad greens, with or without a little sprinkle of vinaigrette.
--------------------------------Holly Hanks (aka, PheMom) is the sleep-deprived mama behind the blog, pheMOMenon.com which she has been writing, cooking, and baking away at since January 2008. She has two wild and funny little boys who are working on perfecting their sarcasm, and one sweet baby girl who rocks her extra chromosome. She is also married to a wild and crazy man who is a professional skydiver and BASE jumper. She uses her kitchen as her happy place in an attempt to keep what sanity she is hanging on to while trying to keep up with all her family's shenanigans. You can find her sharing too many pics of food, kids, and the dog on Instagram and Facebook, pinning her little heart out on Pinterest, and sending out the occasional tweet into the universe.