Recipe: Creamy Mushroom Soup
I typically like to make soups in the crock pot because I'm all about the fix-it-and-forget-it, simple kind of meals. But this Creamy Mushroom Soup is sooo easy to make! All it takes is a little sauteing of some mushrooms and seasonings, some broth, cream and milk, and then a good blend. Warm, creamy, and savory soup is the best kind of meal to warm up during this time of year!
My family likes to eat it with a thick slice of warm french bread or serve it in a bread bowl. Even my two-year-old likes this soup. I never would have thought my picky two-year-old would eat an entire bowl of mushroom soup. Toddlers? Mushrooms? They typically don't mesh well. I was shocked. It's a great quick and easy dinner or would make for an excellent starter at an upcoming holiday party. With a dash of nutmeg, it's definitely a holiday worthy soup.
Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms, cleaned and chopped finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp flour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- Dash of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add butter and garlic and sauté garlic on medium heat. Add mushrooms, thyme, and Worcestershire and cook until most of the moisture from the mushrooms is gone (about 5-7 minutes).
2. Stir in the chicken broth and stir occasionally until the broth begins to boil (may need to increase the heat just a little). Once it boils, reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the diluted flour and stir continuously (still simmering) until the mixture thickens. Stir in a dash of nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in cream and milk and bring to a simmer again.
5. Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup, or pour everything into a blender and pulse for a few seconds. Blend to desired smooth-ness. You can leave some chunks or blend completely smooth.
You can make this soup a little thicker and use it in any recipes where you'd normally use a can of cream of mushroom soup—casseroles, rice bakes, etc. I promise using the homemade stuff will make your meals taste so much better!
***slightly adapted from Season with Spice
What is your favorite soup during winter and the holiday season?
Hi, I'm Kristy and I blog over at Sweet Treats & More where I share everything from sweet and indulgent treats to simple, family-friendly meals. Whether I'm baking or cooking, I like to keep things simple without sacrificing flavor! I try to keep our meals healthy for my growing little family, but I always, ALWAYS save room for a little dessert, especially cookies!