Giving Back: How to Celebrate #GivingTuesday
This month, we are celebrating gratitude through our Daily Dose of Gratitude Photo Contest, showing thankfulness on Thanksgiving, and buying gifts for family and friends on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. We're excited to announce that we'll be adding one more special day to our calendar this month.
What’s #GivingTuesday? During the lead up to and during Tuesday, November 27, the collective power of charities, families, businesses, and individuals will create a moment around the holidays dedicated to giving. We all want to help make this season the biggest giving season yet. All 300+ partners are donating their time and resources to the cause. You can read more about #GivingTuesday and all of its partners and plans here.
The #GivingTuesday campaign will provide a framework for Americans to contribute to their community and help make this season the biggest giving season yet. It will inspire people to take collaborative action to improve their local communities, give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they support, and help create a better world.
How can you celebrate #GivingTuesday?
We invite you to be part of this national celebration of our great tradition of generosity. #GivingTuesday will show how Americans can do much more with our wallets than just consume. Here’s what you can do to help make this initiative a success.
Help Promote #GivingTuesday on Social Media
Have a great idea on how to give back on #GivingTuesday? Follow #GivingTuesday on Twitter (@GivingTues) and use the #GivingTuesday hashtag. You can also like them on Facebook and share your #GivingTuesday idea.
Sign Up to Become a Social Media Ambassador
Are you a blogger or are you active in social media? Become a #GivingTuesday Social Media Ambassador and help make #GivingTuesday a real success! They invite you to join their online social community, which allows you to easily share #GivingTuesday content, submit your own content, and earn points! Go to their website and register to become a Social Media Ambassador http://www.givingtuesday.org/.
Host a Local Service Project in Your Community
Here are some ideas to help get you started as you plan your #GivingTuesday event. Remember, this event can be big or small. All that matters is that you are giving back and helping to spread the word about #GivingTuesday.
- Hold a neighborhood yard or bake sale and donate the proceeds to an organization in need.
- Visit a nursing home. Take some of your free time and visit a nursing home. Read a book with an elderly person, talk about topics in the news, play cards and bring a little joy into both of your lives. You will probably come out with a new friend!
- Clean up your community. Participate in a local environmental clean-up day or start your own with family and friends. Go to your local parks, beaches, or hiking trails and pick up litter.
- Give to a local food bank. You can donate a few of the canned goods you currently have in your pantry.
What are your next steps?
- Click on the "Participate" button below and fill out the form. We'll be sure to send you a live event kit to help get you started.
- Plan a local service project — it can be big or small!
- Donate your time, services, or resources to the charity of your choice (a 501C3 or other qualifying organization) on November 24-27.
- Help generate buzz on Tuesday, November 27 using the #GivingTuesday hashtag.
Are you interested in hosting your own service project between November 24-November 27? If so, click on the button below to fill out the sign up form.
How will you celebrate #GivingTuesday this year?
Latest posts by Jen Tilley (see all)
- Creativity: Summertime Craft Camp and Kid-Friendly Crafts - August 12, 2016
- Recipe: Very Berry Banana Muffins - July 26, 2016
- Balanced Diet: Six Healthy Alternatives to Theme Park Food - July 18, 2016