Holiday Shopping: 10 Ways to Save Money During the Holidays
I've been working a lot on finding the best ways to save money. When it comes to the holidays, it's especially difficult to try and save money due to all of the gift buying and giving that takes place. Leading up to this time of year, I always try and find ways to prepare for this gift giving season.
10 Ways to Save Money During the Holidays
Here are some ways I have saved this holiday season:
1. Use gift cards received throughout the year. I try and save gift cards I receive and then use them on gifts. I also cashed out points and got gift cards for gifts too.
2. Inventory wrapping paper, decorations, etc. I was low on wrapping paper so luckily the Hallmark $5.00 coupon deal had come along at the right time and I bought four rolls for $3.26. The coupons are good until Dec.24. Be sure to check the December issues of Real Simple, Oprah, and more for the coupons. I also ran low on gift tags and I had another coupon and got a nice assortment of tags for $3.00.
3. Calm it down on baking. I did participate in a cookie exchange and that was fun, but I stuck with a basic oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe. It turned out great! I put the cookies in white bakery boxes (skipped buying the expensive holiday tins) and they were a hit.
4. Stock up on pantry necessities. For example, Target has had Betty Crocker cookie mixes, Betty Crocker boxed potatoes, and more at really good prices lately. Match up with coupons for more savings.
5. Shop Amazon lightning deals. Amazon offers their lightning deals through mid-December, so it’s a good time to snag some deals!
6. Taking advantage of $10 off $10 coupons. I received coupons from Kohl's and JCPenney a few weeks ago which were $10 off $10 any item. I found (2) really nice gifts at both stores and used the coupons.
7. Spend less on stocking stuffers. I had stocked up end of Christmas sale last year and am always on the lookout for small gifts.
8. Order holiday cards early. This year I ordered my cards in October. Though it felt weird to order holiday cards before Halloween, I received an awesome Shutterfly deal in my e-mail that I had to use. I received free cards and only paid shipping.
9. Regift...creatively. That's all I'm going to say. My family might be reading this!
10. Use printable coupons. I always check online coupons and deals before heading out to the mall!
How do you save money when shopping during the holiday season? What are your money-saving tips and tricks?
Photo courtesy of Flickr.
For great deals, freebies and more, check out Savingsmania.com. As one of the original money-saving blogs, Savingsmania.com by Diane Schmidt has been blogging and saving you money since 2003- http://www.savingsmania.com/
Latest posts by savingsmania (see all)
- Holiday Shopping: 10 Ways to Save Money During the Holidays - December 11, 2011