invisalign: invisalign to Permanent Retainers
My son has been wearing invisalign for the last 9 months, and today we were told by our orthodontist that his treatment is done and he is ready for permanent retainers. He wore 19 trays on the top and 14 trays on the bottom. We are beyond thrilled with how easy wearing invisalign has been, and how great my son's teeth look in such a short period of time. (I am a member of the Invisalign Mom Advisory Board. My son has been receiving complimentary treatment from Invisalign)!
While we were in the orthodontist's office, they took impressions of his teeth, and made permanent retainers for him. Next week, we will have them put into place and then he will be done with his treatment.
When my older son was done wearing his braces, he was giving trays to wear at night. He wasn't given the option to have a permanent retainer put in place. When we were speaking with Dr. Jensen from Smile Ranch Orthodontics, he told us that he recommended having a permanent retainer put in place to keep the teeth straight. He told me that everyone in his office that he had treated with braces or aligners, had put permanent retainers in the mouth. Not one of them have had any problems with their teeth moving out of place. His experience has been different with his patients that have chosen to wear trays at night. After a year or so, patients tend to become more lax with trays. Some people loose their trays and 8 times out of 10 they are coming back in to fix their teeth again.
We have been extremely happy with our treatment. We lucked out to find a great orthodontist that knows a lot about invisalign and the benefits of wearing them. If you are looking for an orthodontist in your area that can see if you are a candidate for invisalign, use the doctor locator tool, to find a qualified orthodontist in your area. You will take a smile assessment test to see if you are a good candidate for invisalign.
If you want to find out why invisalign is a great way to go for straightening your teeth, visit http://www.invisalign.com/why-invisalign.
How do permanent retainers work and how long do you have to wear them?
- A permanent retainer is a retainer that you don't take out. it is a consistent wire attached to your teeth to keep them in place.
- Permanent retainers typically offer a long term solution to naturally shifting teeth.
- There is no risk of forgetting to put in retainers since the permanent retainers are permanent.
- Permanent retainers insure that the money you spent on invisalign or braces, doesn't go to waste. Permanent retainers will keep you teeth in place as long as they are attached to your teeth.
- It is important to have good hygiene health when you are wearing a permanent retainer. Our orthodontist recommended buying a Water Pic to ensure that my son is properly taking care of his gums. Flossing is more difficult with this device, but with a Water Pic, there shouldn't be any issues.
- There are some food restrictions with permanent retainers, but for the most part, if you are careful, you should be fine.
In my previous posts about our invisalign journey, I have talked about the importance of having a great smile, and how straight teeth can help child's self esteem. We are so happy with the journey we have been on and can't wait to move into this next phase of his treatment.
What has been the experience of wearing retainers? Have you used permanent or the take out kind?
I am a member of the Invisalign Mom Advisory Board. I will be receiving complimentary treatment from Invisalign, but all opinions expressed are my own. http://shout.lt/ggGP
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- Strawberry Cashew Salad - May 25, 2019
- 5 Family Camping Activities To Get Everyone Involved - May 24, 2019
- Recipe: Oreo Cake for Father’s Day - May 23, 2019