The Top 5 Things That Get in the Way of “Me Time”
When it comes to taking time for ourselves, we women often find we're fighting an uphill battle. We may be fabulous multitaskers, but all those "multitasks" tend to dash any hopes we have of getting away...figuratively or literally. Instead we plug along, accomplishing much yet losing ourselves along the way.
Just what is it that keeps us from the all-important "me time?" (If you haven't yet realized how important this time is you definitely need to read my previous post, "Making 'You' Your Number One Priority.") I've come up with what I believe are the top five things that keep YOU from being your number one priority. And because I'm all about helping my fellow women, I've included suggestions for how to deal with each item on the list. Keep in mind they're only suggestions. You need to do what works best for you; just promise me you'll do it!
The Top 5 Things That Get in the Way of "Me Time"
(in no particular order)
1. Sleep: If we didn't have to sleep we'd have so much more time for manis and pedis. Instead of sleeping, guzzle a fully loaded energy drink, down an entire package of Oreos, and run five miles to get those endorphins going!
2. Significant others: I swear they demand more attention than kids! I often hear, "Feels so great to be at the bottom of your to-do list." Whatever! Buy a Costco-size bag of chips and jar of salsa, turn on ESPN (or Food Network or Spike TV, whatever floats his boat) and throw him the latest Netflix release.
3. Children: Why is it the minute you sit down, pick up the phone, or disappear to the bathroom your toddler needs a diaper change, glass of juice and their favorite movie--all at once? Buy one of those hats that dispense beer but instead fill it with cans of apple juice. Sit her on the toilet (it's never to early to potty train), place the hat on her head and roll the TV and DVD player into the bathroom. Talk about multitasking!
4. House cleaning & laundry: It never fails--as soon as the floor is mopped someone dumps the entire box of Cream of Wheat all over it (true story). As soon as the laundry is done the basket is full. Think how many books we could read if we did these things and they stayed done! Send the kids outside to play the minute they wake up and don't let them in until it's bedtime; they will quickly learn to live off the land. And allow them only one outfit per week. That ought to cut down on those loads of laundry!
5. Work: Whether you work part time, full time, out of the home or in, work is a big thing that can get in the way of "me time." You can try and schedule your time and prioritize, but how fun is that? I say quit your job, move somewhere tropical and take up basket weaving. Nothing rejuvenates like a white sand beach and the sound of the ocean waves.
Sometimes the biggest thing that keeps you from enjoying "me time" is YOU. The solution for that? Realizing you deserve to put yourself first once in a while. Stop multitasking for one minute--okay, more like 30 minutes--and focus on YOU before you get lost amidst all those tasks. When all else fails, lock yourself in the bathroom with your iPod, a magazine and a box of chocolates. Works every time.
Latest posts by Jyl Johnson Pattee (see all)
- Ireland Travel: Planning Your Irish Vacation - February 27, 2015
- Valentine’s Day Treats: Vanilla Candy Hearts With Peppermint - February 5, 2015
- Valentine’s Day Gift: Candy Cane Chocolate Heart Suckers - February 1, 2015