Valentine’s Day: A Valentine’s Day Date for Every Budget
No matter what limitations in spending your wallet or purse may be experiencing, plenty of budget friendly date ideas are available for couples who want to enjoy Valentine's Day without breaking the bank. From economical flowers at FTD.com to a basket filled with an assortment of inexpensive chocolate goodies, the day can be a success and still keep you within budget.
Valentine's Day Date Ideas
While you may not have a huge budget, don't go overboard with inexpensive ways to flaunt your love. Your significant other may not appreciate it if you do something like these ideas:
- Keep it simple when it comes to cards. Make your own from scratch using construction paper, paint, markers, and glitter.
- Send him or her a "special" Valentine's Day text message instead of a card.
- Post your heartfelt feelings on your favorite social media site.
- Send a virtual E-card via one of the online sites such as American Greetings, Blue Mountain and 123Greetings.
Inexpensive Valentine's Day Ideas
Get creative with your ideas. With Valentine's Day, it's mostly the thought that counts. If you don't do anything, your significant other will feel under appreciated. Not every idea works for every couple, so pick one that suits your relationship:
- Go on a photo shoot of your favorite places around town. Create a photo gallery for friends and family to share. You can also begin a historical Valentine's Day photo album. Add this year's photos and continue to add new pictures each February 14th.
- If weather permits, spend the day outdoors doing the things you use to do as a kid. Go to the park and fly kites, play putt-putt golf, find a go-kart track, go horseback riding, or make your way around the roller or ice-skating rink.
- If the weather is cool, grab a blanket, pack two thermoses with hot chocolate, pop a bag or two of popcorn, and head to a local drive-in movie theater.
- Locate free tours or free-admission days at parks and museums as well as free movies or concerts in the park.
- Build a bonfire, make s'mores, and toast marshmallows while sipping your favorite latte or hot chocolate. Have two chairs and a blanket handy for snuggling under the stars by firelight.
- Park your car and take a tour of the city by bus. You'll be able to enjoy the scenery while leaving the aggravation of driving and the cost of gas to someone else.
Look for coupons near you via sites such as Groupon, Living Social, Google Deals, and Amazon Local that offer special deals and discounts at local restaurants, bistros, spas, outdoor recreational activities, guided tours, spas, and accommodations.
- Rent a Segway and go on a tour of the city.
- Take a lunch, brunch, or dinner cruise.
- Book a massage session specifically for couples at a local spa.
- Order flowers at FTD.com and have them delivered to her place of work. Along with the flowers, order a phone gram from American Singing Telegrams who can deliver her favorite song anywhere in the world.
Plan a day excursion to a nearby city.
- Visit a restaurant or cafe and place an order to go, then head to an area park, waterfront, river walk, or beach and enjoy the meal. Take pictures along the way to add to your photo album.
- Spend the day at the zoo riding the rides, observing the animals, and watching the shows while chowing down on snacks, goodies, and ice-cream treats.
- Dress up, go to a new bar or pub with live entertainment and no cover charge, and enjoy your favorite cocktails and appetizers.
Keep it simple this Valentine's Day and get more bang for your buck when considering these ideas. A little creativity blended with a vivid imagination can go a long way in providing a memorable day while still being frugal.
What are some of your fun ways you like to save money during the holidays?
Author: Lauren Cullen
Once an off-Broadway actress, Lauren is now married with children and loves her life in the suburbs. She loves sharing her crafts and DIY ideas with readers.
Featured image courtesy of Flickr.
Latest posts by Jill Greenlaw (see all)
- 8 Online Shopping Tips for Back to School - August 8, 2016
- 5 Fun Family Activities - July 29, 2016
- Recipes: 5 Delicious Ways to Cook Seasonal Summer Veggies - July 27, 2016