Season of Service Week 7: 10 Tips for Helping Others Be Healthy
my world • Mom It Forward Mondays
Week 7's Season of Service challenge is to give to others in meaningful ways by being healthy or by helping others improve their health, both physical and mental. This can happen in a variety of ways. The list below identifies 10 ideas. Of course, you could always donate a kidney, but we're talking about bite-size ideas here, right?
- Read documents over the phone for blind and low-vision people through Read This to Me, a nonprofit serving the U.S. and Canada.
- Give blood. This valuable resource can only be donated, not manufactured. Find out where here.
- Consider inviting a friend to take a lunch break with you at the local rec center. Provide sandwich lunches with whole wheat bread and low-fat mayo.
- Offer to babysit for a friend or colleague while they go holiday shopping.
- At your next potluck holiday party, be the one that brings the vegetable tray. Consider replacing the high-fat ranch dressing with a low-fat version.
- Run or walk in a charity marathon or sporting event such as the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer or the American Heart Association's Heart Walk.
- At this time of year, it can be tempting to neglect your health so that you can get everything done. Don't, because if you're not functioning well, so much can be affected. Grab a friend, even if it's last-minute, go see a movie, and don't feel guilty!
- Substitute healthier canola oil for butter or margarine in dishes that you make for family or friends.
- Clear the table right after the meal at the next holiday gathering you attend. You'll be removing the temptation to nibble for guests, and helping the hostess at the same time.
- Load up on the pumpkin pie. Yes, you heard me right. Pumpkin contains potassium, fiber, and carotenoids, which help your body make vitamin A and fight free radicals. Just don't top it with whipped cream.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- What other ideas do you have for helping yourself and others be more healthy?
- How has doing so made a meaningful difference this week?
- How have others helped you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Week?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here's how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week's challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week's challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week's giveaway. Check out this week's prizes from Pink Tank.com by clicking here.
- Join #gno this Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms about the challenge.
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- St. Patrick’s Day Party - March 14, 2023
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - March 3, 2023
- Savory and Sweet Dishes: 8 Easy Bacon-Filled Recipes - January 16, 2023