10 Ways Gardening Can Help You Give Back
10 Tips for Giving Back Through Gardening
- Our friends at Properlyrooted.com recommend for you to plant an extra row of produce when you plant your garden this year, and donate the harvest to your local food bank or soup kitchen, to help the hungry. For tips and links to organizations that distribute to those in need, visit the Garden Writers Association website, or GrowARow.org if you’re in Canada.
- Buy a pack of flower seeds from SeedSavers.org, an organization that works to preserve genetic diversity in our plant supply by collecting, preserving, cultivating, and sharing seeds that have been passed down from previous generations.
- Support other people who grow or farm organic food by going to LocalHarvest.com.
- Help plant wildflowers in a neglected area of your neighborhood or city.
- Plant some herbs in the garden of an elderly neighbor or someone who would be able to water and tend the plant but might not have the funds or manpower to do the initial buying and planting.
- Create or donate a floral arrangement to a senior center, nursing home, police station, hospital, shut-ins, etc.
- Help a neighbor weed his/her garden.
- Put a flower with an encouraging note on a neighbor’s porch.
- Bake some zucchini bread or other item from your garden’s harvest and share it with a coworker.
- Offer cuttings of plants you may have that propagate well, like tomatoes or cilantro, to a friend and her children for them to take home and root.
How Will You Give to Others This Week Through Gardening?
- What other ideas do you have for giving to others by gardening?
- How has gardening for your family or for others made a meaningful difference for you this week?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here’s how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week’s challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week’s challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week’s giveaway. Check out this week’s prizes from Quaker Oatsand YourCollegeKid.com.
- Join #gno this Monday or Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms.
The following two tabs change content below.