5 Tips to Keep Your Child Interested in Doing School Work
Do you find it difficult to keep your kids interested in school with summer just around the corner? Warm weather can definitely make kids antsy and want to play outside rather than finish homework.
The key is to switch things up! Kids love to be entertained, so scheduling different activities or just merely showing attention can be what you child needs.
How to Keep Your Child Interested in School Work
Schedule play time. Scheduling play time, maybe for an hour or so after school will help your child get the fun in the sun that he or she needs. Sometimes the tactic of getting your homework done and then being allowed to play outside isn’t feasible because by the time homework is done the sun has set.
- Have homework parties. Take turns with a couple other parents and have the kids all work on their homework together. Make sure to supervise the party to make sure the kids are actually getting their homework done. Also serve a fun healthy snack or let the kids stay for dinner!
- Show that you are interested in your child's homework. Review the assignments before your child begins and offer your help with difficult problems. Don’t do the work for your child though!
Praise your child. The more you compliment your child's efforts to work on homework the more your child will want to do it. It might not happen at first, but with repetition the positivity will rub off on your child.
Quiz your children on their homework. Make fun flash cards quizzing them on material they are learning in class. You can make it fun by giving them a piece of candy for every ten they get right!
Making a personal pizza can be a fun break for your child's study party! Here is a fun recipe where all you do is make the dough and then let your child and friends put the toppings on their own personal pizza.
Personal Pizza Recipe
1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 envelope of yeast
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup very warm water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Your kids’ favorite toppings
How do you keep your kids interested in doing school work when the temperatures are warming outside?
Pictures attributed to Flickr: kids at table, personal pizzas.
Latest posts by Rachel Lewis (see all)
- Earth Day Recycle Craft: Tin Can Wind Chimes - March 27, 2019
- 5 Tips to Keep Your Child Interested in Doing School Work - April 17, 2017
- Preventing the Crisis of Cyberbullying - April 12, 2013