Breakfast: How To Make Light and Fluffy Pancakes
Recipe for Homemade Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Flavor ingredient (optional)
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and melted butter.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and whisk until incorporated.
- Fold in flavor ingredient (optional).
- Warm a greased griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour the batter onto the warm and greased griddle and brown on both sides. Rule of thumb: Once the pancake begins to bubble around the edge it's ready to flip.
Tips for Making Light and Fluffy Pancakes
Making pancakes from scratch is as simple as that. There are few items to keep in mind when trying to create light and fluffy pancakes:
- Measure ingredients carefully.
- Do not overbeat the batter.
- Grease the griddle or pan and don't add batter until it is nice and warm.
- Use a laddle, measuring cup or ice cream scooper to ensure consistent-sized pancakes.
- Cook the pancakes until the edges start to bubble on the uncooked surface and then flip.
- Use a spatula to flip the pancakes and make sure that the spatula head is wide enough for an accurate flip.
- Serve the pancakes warm with softened butter and warmed syrup.
What is your favorite breakfast food? What type of pancake do you love most?
Jen Tilley has an insatiable appetite for all things related to baking and cooking. She is the author, photographer and recipe developer on How To: Simplify, a blog that shares tips, tricks and recipes to simplify life in the kitchen. She enjoys sharing recipes that require very few ingredients and only a small amount of prep and cook time, all of which make time spent in the kitchen simple and enjoyable. Find her online at How To: Simplify and @HowToSimplify.
Latest posts by Jen Tilley (see all)
- Tips and Tricks for Hosting a Pizza Party - May 10, 2016
- Emotion Coaching: A New Way to Guide Very Young Children - April 6, 2016
- Body Image: Positive Affirmations for Accepting and Loving Your Body - April 4, 2016