Celebrating Milestones: 5 Victories Moms Should Celebrate￼
Motherhood is no easy feat. As parents, we look forward to our child’s first smile, first word, and first step, among others. But there are also many milestones, many of which are the unacknowledged milestones of motherhood.
As Mother’s Day is just around the corner, don’t forget to celebrate yourself and all your motherhood accomplishments. Here are some milestones every mom should take a moment to savor because you deserve it.
Milestones to Celebrate as a Mother
Becoming A Master of Multitasking
When we become parents, we realized there are just not enough hours in the day to get everything done. Because of multitasking, any parent can rock their baby to sleep while running a business. That sounds like a superpower, right? Whether you’re checking off the to-do items on your list or even just making a list (and not checking off anything because …hello, baby snuggles!), then celebrate. You are doing the best you can and that rocks.
Hiliarious, right?! Sleep deprivation is the new normal when you have a newborn. It can leave many parents feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. While there’s no magical formula for getting enough sleep, having a decent night’s sleep is something you’ll want to shout from the rooftops.
All babies have their own ways of communicating with their parents. Learning what a baby wants and needs can be difficult. Some cues tell you that your baby is ready to interact (be active with you). Other cues tell you that your baby needs a break or to rest. But, when those cues are discovered, it should be celebrated!
Forging New Connections
It’s normal to feel isolated and lonely after becoming a parent. But, it doesn't have to be that way forever. You can talk to new parents as you’re strolling in the parks, attending parenting classes, or spending time at playdates. Building new connections with your “mom circle” that you can vent to, get advice fromo, and hang out with is a huge boost to your mental health. Be sure to celebrate this momentous occasion!
Making Healthy Choices
Women’s bodies change a lot after giving birth. Most women tend to worry if they can wear their “real” clothes again. While there is no rush to get back into shape, making healthy choices to live a healthier life is something to celebrate. Don’t be shy to celebrate making healthy choices as you embrace your new, beautiful body.
It Starts With Mom
Parental milestones are not always recognized as much as milestones in childhood, but every milestone a child achieves starts with mom. March of Dimes is launching its third annual It Starts With Mom. It Starts With Mom campaign is nationwide advocacy aimed to provide the latest maternal health information and resources for moms at each stage of pregnancy and new motherhood.
This year, the theme is “Mom's Firsts – Celebrating Parental Milestones." Having a baby is all about firsts—the first breathing class, first tooth, first diaper change. But, babies aren’t the only ones learning for the very first time.
The milestones of parenthood are not always acknowledged or celebrated to the same extent as those children achieve. March of Dimes can prove that “It Starts With Mom” by celebrating parental milestones—big and small.
From the first chocolate craving to the first hour-long nap, they are flipping the script and celebrate parents’ big moments.
Why do Moms Need March of Dimes?
Did you know …
- The U.S. remains among the most dangerous developed nations for childbirth, especially for women and babies of color.
- Each year, one woman dies every 12 hours from pregnancy-related causes, and 1 in 10 babies is born too soon.
- Women of color are up to 50 percent more likely to give birth preterm and their children can face a 130 percent higher infant death rate.
- This year alone, more than 360,000 babies will be born preterm.
- A significant racial disparity in maternal death exists with Black women being 3 times more likely to die from pregnancy compared to White women.
How Can You Show Up and Show Your Support?
Whether you’re a seasoned mom or mom-to-be, March of Dimes is with you throughout your pregnancy journey, celebrating parental milestones or giving you tools you need to get the best possible start. Because no matter what today brings, it starts with mom.
Sign up for the free event: “It Starts With Mom Live” https://registration.socio.events/e/itstartswithmom
- Event Date: Thursday, May 5, 2022
- Event Time: 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET
- Event Hashtags: #ItStartsWithMom #MarchofDimes #mom2community
Register now for this free interactive event: https://www.marchofdimes.org/it-starts-with-mom/live-event.aspx
We’re all in this together. So, let’s show our celebrate the milestones because “it starts with mom.”
Latest posts by Nikki Abad (see all)
- Join the Mom 2.0 We Can Do This National Parent Twitter Event with Special Guests Dr. Vivek H. Murthy, United States Surgeon General and Patricia A. Stinchfield, RN, MS, CPNP, president-elect of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID) - June 6, 2022
- Join the Mom 2.0 We Can Do This National Parent Twitter Event with Special Guest Dr. Dara Kass, HHS Regional Director for Region 2 - May 9, 2022
- Celebrating Milestones: 5 Victories Moms Should Celebrate￼ - May 5, 2022