Dinner Parties: Dishes That Make Hosting and Attending Enjoyable
Do you ever have those weekends where you feel like you are attending party after play date, and hosting in between? Trying to plan it all can get a little crazy, especially if you need to bring something or host the gathering. Here are a few tips to make your weekend a little more manageable.
Tips to Make Hosting and Attending Parties Manageable
First, try and bring dessert. Dessert usually stays fresh the longest and is the easiest to diversify. People also tend to be less picky about dessert, and if they are, you won't feel as bad if they pass on dessert because you know they were able to fill up on the main course. Once you are in charge of dessert, try and factor in a few questions when deciding what to make:
- Will this dessert stay fresh for the entire weekend? Cakes are my favorite dessert to make, but they don’t always stay fresh for the long haul. Also bringing a half-eaten cake isn’t the classiest choice.
- What dessert will satisfy all the different age groups at these functions? Rest assured that there is such a thing, no matter what the age gap.
- How can I diversify this dessert for each age group?
Here is an example of a dessert that can satisfy all age groups: Homemade Oreos. Oreos are classic and I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like Oreos.
Oreos can be paired with a tall glass of milk for a play date or after-school snack. Yes, it is still a dessert, but once and a while won't hurt, and if you make your dessert, you will skip out on the preservatives. Dunking is always a crowd pleaser, especially for the little ones.
This classic cookie can also be served for dessert with your dinner guests. They go perfect with coffee and you can still enjoy dunking.
Or put these out on a serving plate if you know guests will drop on by. They will keep at room temperature but can also be stored in the refrigerator.
The most important thing to remember is to not become overwhelmed. Simply think through your guests and occasions and make one dessert that will satisfy each person and save you some time.
Homemade Oreo Recipe can be found here.
When attending a party, what dish do you like to bring? When hosting a party, what dish do you love to serve? What is your go-to dessert that is a crowd pleaser?
Bonnie Lewis blogs at Bonnie the Baker where she creates delicious dishes and discusses the journey of this thing called "parenthood". She is a professional writer and published author, as well as a social media expert. She has an M.A. in Theology from Fuller Theological Seminary where her studies of faith and culture help inform her writing, baking, and child rearing. She loves ice cream, coffee and a good book. She is married to her husband Cy and has a three month old baby boy named Chip.
Latest posts by Jen Tilley (see all)
- Photography: Simple Tips and Tricks for Beautiful Food Photographs - January 18, 2022
- Fall Crafts: 5 Homemade Projects to Celebrate the Fall Season - September 11, 2020
- Easter Treat: Monkey Bread Bird Nests - March 23, 2020