Good Manners: 10 Simple Ways to be Kind
This week's Season of Service challenge is perhaps the easiest yet: be kind. Aesop, the Greek fable writer, once said: No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted. Let's all be brave this week, reaching out with kindness. This challenge is inspired by Chuggington, the new line of animated trains, and correlates with their #GNO next week on teaching kids good manners.
10 bite-size ideas for being kind:
- Donate your used athletic shoes to Nike's Reuse-a-Shoe program, which grinds them down and re-makes them into play surfaces.
- Play an instrument, or have your child practice the piano/give an impromptu musical performance for an elderly neighbor.
- Donate flowers you no longer need after an event to Flower Power, which re-arranges them and gives them to the elderly in nursing homes.
- Donate some used blankets and toys to your local animal shelter.
- Take your children to a local nonprofit for a tour. Just being aware of the needs of your community through the work of these organizations can be perspective-changing.
- Leave a snack for an unsuspecting friend or co-worker.
- Write a thank-you note to a teacher who inspired you or who is doing a good job teaching your child.
- Help someone with a job or chore.
- Play the role of doorman at a public place for 10 minutes.
- Contact your local library or literacy center and ask about volunteer opportunities for reading to home-bound people.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- What other ideas do you have for being kind to others?
- How has being kind made a meaningful difference for you this week?
- How have others been kind to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here's how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week's challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week's challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week's giveaway. Check out this week's prizes from Chuggington by clicking here.
- Join #gno this Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms about the challenge.