Arizona: A Mad Men Guide to Scottsdale, Arizona
Travel—My first impression of the Hotel Valley Ho in downtown Scottsdale, Arizona is, “How very Mad Men.” The décor is modern and retro, very 1960s chic. In fact, the hotel first opened in 1956 and, after a recent renovation, has retained its mid-century charm. From lobby to lounge, and everywhere in between, touches of bygone era are evident.
I’ve flown here, from east coast to west, for a conference (very Don Draper of me). The only differences is I’m not a big-wig ad executive. I’m a magazine editor with two little kids at home. And while this trip is for business, it’s also an escape—a brief mommy vacation.
And the retro vibe of the Hotel Valley Ho has me thinking, "How can I Mad Men my trip to Scottsdale? How can I vacation like a 1960s fashionista?"
- Shop for designer duds at Fashion Square in Old Town
- Take a sunset tour of Taliesin West, the desert home of architect Frank Lloyd Wright
- Get pampered at one of the many spas in Scottsdale
- Sip cocktails and celebrity watch at Mastro’s City Hall Steakhouse
- Relax poolside in a private cabana at the Hotel Valley Ho
Alas, I am here for business and can’t ditch the conference to party with The Jet Set ala Don Draper in season two. I do indulge in a chocolate martini with my colleagues at Café ZuZu, the hip lounge at the Hotel Valley Ho, and treat myself to the CoffeeBerry Yoga Facial at the VH spa (highly recommend!).
I would love to return to Scottsdale, with my husband (and maybe the kids—there’s a great musical instrument museum I’d like to take them to) and enjoy this part of Arizona Mad Men style.
Have you been to Scottsdale, Arizona? What would you add to the Mad Men experience?
To plan your Scottsdale getaway, visit www.experiencescottsdale.com.
Shannon Morgan is a food and travel writer focused on food allergies and fitness. She is the Senior Editor at Maryland Life magazine, a mom of two, and a runner with a passion for yoga and coffee. You can find her online at Shannon Morgan Creative, follow her on Twitter @SLDMorgan, or connect on Facebook.
Scottsdale photos by Shannon Morgan. Headshot by Andrew Murdock.
Latest posts by Shannon Morgan (see all)
- New Mexico Travel Tips: White Sands National Monument Park - December 30, 2012
- Trouble Sleeping? Put Your Legs Up The Wall. - December 5, 2012
- Arizona: A Mad Men Guide to Scottsdale, Arizona - November 25, 2012