Recipe: Chicken Parmesan
Valentine's Day is a week away and I love creating foods that go with the whole heart theme. For my daughter's sweet heart dance, I cooked all the couples a romantic dinner in our home. Taking dates to an expensive restaurant can get pricey, so I decided to make a home cooked meal for them. I cooked Chicken Parmesan served over angel hair pasta with a marinara sauce. In honor of staying with the Valentine theme, I topped my recipe with pepperoni cut out in the shape of a heart.
This recipe is so easy to make and doesn't cost very much. If you are looking for something festive to cook for Valentine's Day, this is your recipe. It takes literally less than 30 minutes to make.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup mozzarella
- ¼ to ½ cup veg oil
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 Tbsp water or milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- Pound chicken thin in a plastic bag (work from center until ¼ inch thick, cut in half lengthwise to make it easier). Cut into manageable sized pieces.
- Coat chicken cutlets in flour.
- In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, oregano, and salt. (I like to use Italian bread crumbs and a little Panko combined).
- In another dish combine beaten eggs and water or milk. Dip each floured cutlet in egg then bread crumb mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat until it ripples. Add cutlets; cook until crisp and golden brown on one side, approx. 6 minutes. Turn over and cook other side about 2 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Top each cutlet with shredded mozzarella. Cover skillet to melt cheese, about 1 minute. Place cutlets on cookie rack over paper toweled cookie sheet. This will drain excess oil and keep chicken crispy until all the chicken is done. (Can be placed in a warm oven to keep hot if cooking a lot.)
- Optional - Top each piece of chicken with pepperoni.
- Serve immediately with heated spaghetti sauce. YUM!
To end the meal, I dipped a few strawberries in milk chocolate and made Rhodes rolls in the shape of a heart.
What is your favorite chicken recipe?
Latest posts by Jill Greenlaw (see all)
- Holiday Craft: How to Make Valentine’s Day Candy Jars - February 13, 2018
- Recipe: Valentine Tablescape Ideas - February 13, 2018
- Parties: Valentine’s Day Photo Props - February 8, 2018