Singing: Service With a Song
giving back • my world • Mom It Forward Mondays • tips for giving back
This week's Season of Service challenge is to Sing. Singing, by its very nature, is soothing and honorific. You don't have to be in a church choir or band to help someone with your voice. Consider these 10 ideas:
10 Ideas for Serving Through Singing
- Volunteer your services as a voice coach to a child with a chronic or life-threatening illness through CoachArt.org, if you live in California.
- Volunteer your services as a voice coach to a child who is abused, neglected, or homeless through FreeArtsAZ.org, if you live in Arizona.
- Get together a few singing friends and, for a one-time volunteer opportunity, sing at a senior center such as this one. This may seem cliché, but it really is a good and fairly easy way to bring smiles to other's faces while also using your talents.
- Start a "singing club" at your home. Even if you don't ever perform, just developing your talent and others', while also including others in something, can be a service.
- Teach your child how to sing.
- Join a Sweet Adelines International women's barbershop quartet chapter, or act as a liason between them and the music coordinator at your daughter's school to see if a Young Women in Harmony chapter can be started there.
- Organize a "Neighborhood Idol" sing-off, and ask entrants to pay a "registration fee" that will be donated to EarthWatch International.
- Sing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" as you do your housework. Singing, especially something silly, inevitably makes your work a little less tedious and your little ones, if you have them, a little happier, especially if they join in.
- Share a soothing song with a friend who is suffering or grieving through iTunes Gifts or buying them a CD. Ronan Hardiman's Communication, on his Solas CD, has always been soothing to me.
- Make a playlist of cheesy '80s love songs for your hubby.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- What other ideas do you have for serving others through song?
- How has singing made a meaningful difference for you this week?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here's how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week's challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week's challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week's giveaway. Check out this week's prizes from PBS Kids Summer Reading Challenge by clicking here.
- Join #gno this Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms about the challenge.
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- St. Patrick’s Day Party - March 14, 2023
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - March 3, 2023
- Savory and Sweet Dishes: 8 Easy Bacon-Filled Recipes - January 16, 2023