Service: How to Drive Your Way to Service
This week's Season of Service challenge is to do one small thing this week to help others that involve the verb "drive." These can be things you can do while driving, about driving, to prevent driving, or involving memory drives. It's not about organizing a big food drive or blood donation drive, nor about things you can drive to, which we talked about here. It's about being simple and creative.
- Read this AAA article about preventing road rage.
- Share a story like this one about teen drinking and driving with other parents of teens and check out Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Power of Parents section for tips on how to talk with one's teen about responsible drinking.
- Help brainstorm ideas to drive "likes" to the Facebook pages of various nonprofits (through Sparked.com) that fund clean water projects in the developing world, train leaders, and care for orphaned children in Kampala, Africa.
- Contribute $5 to the purchase of two external flash drives for a social studies classroom in Los Angeles, California, through DonorsChoose.org.
- Ride a bike or walk to a close destination to which you would normally drive this week.
- Buy a cup of coffee or some fries for the person behind you in the drive-through. Jacqueline Way, who we love, talks about how she did this here.
- Donate a new or used thumb drive to Inveneo, a nonprofit that puts technology tools in the hands of people and organizations in the developing world.
- Brainstorm ideas to drive "likes" to the Facebook pages of the Project to End Prostate Cancer.
- Help NYC Medics conduct their humanitarian efforts by making their logo fit into their Facebook page profile.
- Buy a $3 Drive-a-Drunk glow-in-the-dark bracelet to help this organization provide free rides home to people who get drunk.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- Have you ever done any of these things? How did it go?
- What other acts of service have inspired you?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week’s challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week’s challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- 16 Lucky St. Patrick’s Day Treats and Crafts - March 5, 2021
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - February 9, 2021
- Parents: How Fathers Can Build Relationships With Their Kids - February 9, 2021