Service Ideas: Increase Awareness or Good Fortune of Others
This week we challenge you to think of and do one simple thing to increase the awareness or good fortune of someone else. To increase is to grow or make greater; its synonyms are to augment, enlarge, or enhance. Use your imagination to come up with ways to do that, or consult our list of 10 bite-size ideas to get you started.
10 Bite-Size Ways to Increase the Awareness or Good Fortune of Others
- Help increase awareness of the cause or nonprofit of your choice by donating a tweet a day through JustCoz.org. Thanks go to Jacqueline Way of 365Give.ca for this tip.
- Look at the website of the Edmonton Baptist Church in London, England, and come up with five specific ways it can be improved so they can increase their social media presence. This challenge is available through Sparked.com for 2 more days.
- Go find a ping pong table somewhere and play a game or two with your son or daughter. Ping pong is a game that is relatively easy to master and thus a good way to gently increase your child's self-esteem.
- Follow or Like CyArk, an organization that endeavors to preserve archeological sites digitally.
- Donate $5 through DonorsChoose.org to the teacher of a special-needs classroom in Whittier, California, to help her buy a tablet to increase her students' reading independence and access to books.
- Find the website of one or two of the U.S. presidential candidates, and familiarize yourself with their stance on issues that are important to you. Consider involving your kids, maybe with a straw vote, so as to not only increase your political knowledge but also increase their political awareness.
- Purchase a gift card for a friend from Village Enterprise Fund, which helps people in rural areas of developing countries start and maintain small businesses.
- Make a list of ten basic traits that are good about you (not ten good things you've done), write it out, tape it to your bathroom mirror, and review it every day this week, to increase your self-esteem.
- Buy 10 boxes of cereal, or Betty Crocker brownie mixes, or other products and clip the box tops (or buy 10 cans of Campbell's soup and clip the Labels for Education piece), to increase funding or access to needed products for your kids' school(s).
- Increase whatever you do to exercise by one this week.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- Have you ever done any of these things? How did it go?
- What other acts of service have inspired you?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week’s challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week’s challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - February 28, 2020
- Savory and Sweet Dishes: 8 Easy Bacon-Filled Recipes - January 9, 2020
- 5 Tips for Frugal Back to School Shopping - August 9, 2019