Sweet Treat: National Pi Day Pumpkin Pie
It is National Pi Day today. If you have are craving a sweet treat, love math, or just love a reason to celebrate, then you will love this post. National Pi Day celebrates the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, 3.14 – but what better way to celebrate a numerically named holiday than to share in a yummy pie recipe, too!
Did you know that a slice of traditional pumpkin pie often has 5 grams of artery-crippling saturated fat? It’s like eating a cheeseburger for dessert! And really, you don't need it when you can enjoy deeply satisfying pumpkin flavor with Pritikin Chef Anthony Stewart’s zero-saturated-fat pie.
Pumpkin Pi Day Recipe
- Half of large butternut squash (cut squash in half), seeds removed
- 2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (no additives)
- 3 egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ cup soymilk
- 3 tablespoons Splenda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups low-sodium, fat-free corn flakes (good brand choice is Grainfield's)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place butternut squash in a nonstick baking pan in oven, skin side up. Cook until fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
- Scoop out cooked "meat" with spoon, and place it and 1 cup of the canned pumpkin in a food processor. Puree.
- In a large bowl, combine the squash/pumpkin mixture, remaining pumpkin, egg whites, lime juice, cinnamon, cardamom, soymilk, Splenda, and vanilla.
- In food processor, grind corn flakes until they are the size of peppercorns.
- Lightly spray bottom of pie baking pan (8 inches in diameter) with non-stick cooking spray. To make crust, press corn flakes into bottom of pan.
- Fill pie pan with pumpkin mixture, and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
How do you plan on celebrating Pi Day today?
Recipe Provided by: Pritikin link (www.pritikin.com)
Latest posts by Jill Greenlaw (see all)
- Kid’s Birthday Pool Party Ideas - July 31, 2015
- Recipes: 5 Delicious Ways to Cook Seasonal Summer Veggies - July 15, 2015
- Road Trip Time: 4 Ways to Reduce Travel Costs - July 8, 2015