Visionary: 3 Steps to Living a Great Life
my world • Leaving a Legacy • lifestyle • hobbies-me time
What's your legacy? Ask anyone the same question, and you'll get different answers, depending on what's important to them. Maybe it's giving back, or teaching your kids to do the same. Maybe it's finding unique ways to learn, grow, and bond together as a family. Or maybe you want to live an adventurous, rich life and experience the world.
I recently ran a 5k with my 8 year-old son, because one of my legacy goals is to continually find connection points between us as they grow. The day was hot and the race was hard but when I wanted to quit, I saw his little legs racing ahead of me in the crowd and it was a joyful reminder to finish strong. What I realized is that it takes patience and commitment to finish strong. And whether it's writing a book, setting aside your own desires, or running a race, sometimes finishing strong involves a lot of discipline.
Part of the legacy I envision is being active with my kids throughout every stage of their lives. I started running when my first child was born with the idea that one day we would run together. Then, I reasoned, when they're in college, we could meet up in Colorado, Utah, or some other fabulous destination and run a race together once a year. How will you extend the bond that you have with your children?
3 Steps You Can Take to Live and Leave a Great Legacy
- Step 1: Set a vision in the area of faith, family, and finances. Look at your life as a whole, and write down a five year goal in each area.
- Step 2: Make a radical change. Think differently. What is it you'd like to change about your life today? One mother I know quit her high paying engineering job after one coaching session, because she was absolutely certain her legacy included being a stay at home mom. My version of enhancing time with my kids is including the kids in my business. They're small, but they can come to my speaking engagements, shoot video, (like the one here of me speaking) and help hand out books.
- Step 3: Let go. Make a list of any thoughts, beliefs, friends, or habits that you think are holding you back. Let them go, in order to reach that new level. Carefully guard your heart and associations.
What steps do you take to live and leave a great legacy?
Tammy Kling is a life coach, advocate for the homeless, and international author of 29 books including The Compass. Tammy is also the founderr of Write it Out, an organization that helps gang members, the homeless, and those living on the street write out their hopes & dreams via writers workshops, free journals and various other resources.
In addition to writing and coaching, Tammy is a mom of two boys, an avid trail and mountain runner, world traveler, blogger, and adventure travel writer.
Latest posts by tammykling (see all)
- Valentine’s Day: What Is Your Definition of Love? - February 7, 2019
- Thanksgiving: How To Give Thanks During the Holiday Season - November 17, 2018
- New Years Resolutions: How To Avoid Triggers in Your Life - January 2, 2018