Christmas Countdown Ornaments as a DIY Advent Calendar
I distinctly remember my mom buying my sister and me those advent calendars with the boxes you punch out, revealing a candy piece each day. I LOVED those calendars. I was always so excited for Christmas and could not wait to punch out one of those boxes every morning.
I want to carry on that tradition with my kids, minus the candy. I also wanted something we could use year after year. When I saw this cute Christmas Tree frame and wooden ornaments, I knew exactly what we could do.
Homemade Christmas Countdown Ornaments
Supplies for Your DIY Advent Calendar
- Christmas Tree Frame with attached chicken wire. I found this at Joann Fabric.
- 25 Small to medium sized wooden ornaments.
- Ornament hooks, whatever color you like.
- Paint. We selected white, silver, and gold. But you can go with whatever colors you prefer.
- Paint brushes.
- Parchment paper or butcher paper to protect your surfaces.
How to Make Your DIY Advent Calendar
- Spread out your parchment paper or butcher paper (Do not use newspaper! The paint will stick to it! I placed parchment paper over top the newspaper.). Place your Christmas Tree frame on top of your work surface and paint the frame. Allow to dry.
- While the frame is drying, paint the ornaments. We kept our colors to three to keep it simple. Allow to dry completely.
- When the frame is dry, hang it up in your house. Maybe on the pantry door or another area in your kitchen or family room.
- Use ornament hooks to hang your ornaments, one for each day.
You could number your ornaments, but I wanted to keep it simple and to let Kate select the ornament she wanted to hang each day (as opposed to having to hang them in number order). I love how simple but cute it turned out. Kate loved painting the ornaments and deciding which one she wanted to hang.
If you can't find a frame similar to mine, you could use any frame, discard the matting, and attach chicken wire to the back with a staple gun.
Do your children love advent calendars? How do you count down to Christmas?
Latest posts by sarahbagley (see all)
- Saying Yes – A Parenting Experiment - April 15, 2023
- Hand Print Thanksgiving Gratitude Cards - November 25, 2020
- DIY Thanksgiving Cards Kids Can Make - November 6, 2020