Crockpot Chili with Jalapeño Cornbread
An easy, delicious and hearty beef chili that can be made in the crockpot or slow cooker. Pair it with some of this Jalapeño Cornbread and you've got a great dinner for a busy night this Fall!
I love the Fall and everything that goes along with it.
It's a nice change to start wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts as opposed to shorts and short sleeve shirts.
I like that school starts. I'm not going to lie. I like my quiet time. I love when the kids are home for the summer and all the things we are able to do and see as a family, but when my daughters returned to college and my son started high school, there's just something to be said for the quiet house I return to after a day at work.
We moms just need some down time.
Fall also means busy schedules. Whether your kids are involved in sports, dance, band, or whatever their extracurricular activities might be, I've no doubt that you're shuttling them hither and yon all the while trying to plan and make dinners that will satisfy, be easy and can be ready to eat when you walk through the door in the evening! Am I right?
I know because I've been there. The crockpot or slow cooker is one of my most favorite kitchen appliances and has saved my sanity many a day. Become friends with your crockpot and make it work for you. You won't be sorry.
Crockpot Chili Recipe
Ingredients for Crockpot Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 14.5ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 ounce can kidney beans
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese, chopped scallions and diced red onion for garnish
Making your Crockpot Chili
- Turn your crockpot on to high and into it mix the cans of diced, and crushed tomatoes, the kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper together.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add the green pepper, onion and garlic and sautee for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer red. Drain to remove any fat and add to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 - 5 hours. Can also be cooked on the low setting for 6 - 8 hours.
- Serve, topped with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped scallions and diced red onion, if desired.
Ingredients for Jalapeño Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup + 1/4 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 jalapeño, cored, seeded and diced
Making your Jalapeño Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare an 8 X 8-inch cake pan by greasing it with butter.
- In a small bowl, mix together the diced jalapeño and 1/4 teaspoon flour. This will prevent it from sinking to the bottom of the batter as it bakes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the corn meal, remaining cup of flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, melted butter, vanilla and honey.
- Add the wet ingredients to the corn meal mixture and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the jalapeño.
- Pour contents into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.
As the leaves start to fall, the weather becomes cooler and you feel your schedule become more hectic, just take a moment. Breathe.
There are times we want things to be over all too quickly and have a tendency to not really live in the moment and cherish the little things in life. Take the time to experience and see joy in the world around you.
Your crockpot can help with that.
Are you ready for fall with delicious chili and cornbread? What's your favorite part of fall?
Latest posts by Lynne Feifer (see all)
- Chicken Quinoa Casserole With Homemade Alfredo Sauce - August 8, 2019
- Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers - August 5, 2019
- Milky Way Cheesecake Pie - July 5, 2019